Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Delta

Diesel Fuel Additive Experience?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by MattWinslow, Sep 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MattWinslow

MattWinslow Guest

Hi All - new to the board. Anyone have any positive experience with diesel fuel additives that claim to increase engine efficiency while reducing emissions?

Thanks, Matt
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Why? Do you have a suggestion for a fuel additive Matt?
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would say that a fuel additive that can aid with this has to be the humble Fuel Oil Purifier.

It can spin out all the heavy bits and just leave the rest to burn.

If you are using it for non marine use and have an approved storage facility any of the top tier double aromatic solvents will boost your cetane rating beyond belief.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Fuel Additives

I also would like to know more about good fuel additives and are they okay for all diesel engines. I've been told by Man not to use any fuel additives.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I like the diesel kleen products.
  6. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...hanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=109315

That is the stuff i use. I dont know if is just a cleaner and or if it is a fuel stabilizer as well. i too would like to know everyone;s thought on this issue. Anyone heard of biobor? any comments with that product? Do they make a additive that cleans the system and stabilizes the fuel at the same time or do i need to add two different additives.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A great product I use it whenever I can get it, if not I will take Amerstat 10 as an alternative when bunkering.
  8. MattWinslow

MattWinslow Guest

Full Disclosure: I work for a company called (remainder of promotional post removed)
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Oh, now you want to make a full disclosure? OK, then allow me to do the same...

In the registration process, we reference a very stringent, zero-tolerance, anti-spam policy, but apparently you don't think this applies to you? Or you are illiterate and you can't read? Maybe too many additives in your fuel!

Good bye and good riddance.
  10. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

There are SAE papers to document & prove all that, right?
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Snake Oil salesmen have been around for years.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have found over the years that biobore is a great product at killing the algae, but does not dissolve it and it all ends up packing your filters if you put it in fuel that has algae already in it. If you use it from day 1 as a preventative it works well, but not if you start using it a few years down the road.

I like the Diesel Kleen "clear tank" diesel additive and have found that it works well.