Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Burger

Diesel Engine Outboards

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Mar 15, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Might be a little while in development, but how about these potential new diesel engines in an 'outboard configuration'.

Diesel Engine Manufacturers | Small Diesel Engines | Diesel Engines

A unique, power dense, modular, family of diesel engines

The core module is a 4 Cylinder, 8 Piston, supercharged 2-¬stroke diesel with a capacity of 3.6 litres that delivers up to 350hp (261Kw) per module; which can be scaled up or down in capacity and configured in multiple modules, depending on requirement. The engines can be specified in units of 200hp to 350hp
  2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would be interested to know if the first one has actually made any of these outboards that have or are being used innthevreal world.

The description of the second one is nothing new at all, it describes a horizontally opposed piston unifiow scavenged two stroke diesel engine from the 50's.

Commer TS3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you open the link go to the bottom and listen to one running on you tube, thus is a sound you will never forget.
  4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Diesel Outboard

This model may be less powerfull but much closer to production. A working example was shown at the Boot 2013 at Düsseldorf and the SMM Hamburg 2012. It will be the perfect outboard engine for SOLAS rescue boats, because it eliminates the need for petrol stores on commercial ships.

Willkommen - Neander Motors

Attached Files:

5. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Diesel outboard

There used to be a Yanmar D 27 and a Yanmar D 36 diesel outboard engine on the market. It was mostly used by public services (Navy) or for commercial applications like workboats and small fishing boats. Due to its running characteristics and weight, it never made its way into pleasure boating. To my knowledge, it is out of production but still available on the second hand market.

Attached Files:

6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I almost bought one of these years ago on the used market. It was very popular on the international market but parts/service was really not common in the North America (NA) area.
    Shame.
    Volvo Penta made small gas outboards ( again rare in NA) and just thinking about them, maybe a diesel outboard,, nothing.
    Then Mercury ran that oil fed canoe all over the pacific and I thought then a diesel outboard would not be far off.
    Nothing again.
    I do look forward to a small/medium hp outboard market to open up in NA. If there is a reasonable outlet with support, I would welcome hearing about them.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

E.P.Barrus, the Uk dealer for Mercury/Mariner outboards, makes a multi-fuel outboard for the Royal Navy. This 55hp 3 cylinder motor runs on Gas/Diesel/AvGas/Cheap Vodka or anything else left in jars in the garage. It is also designed for dropping from helicopters and getting buried at sea.

Here's the Pdf.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:4kP0fh7sYMQJ:www.navalsystems-tech.com/files/navalsystems/supplier_docs/Barrus%2520Products%2520Brochure.pdf+&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShcmKAdiuYdNp_Q-i-rre5kdUGZik_iv5us3u1Plm62xJn7wQ-dFrGCBayC-9FtRGHOIiEb1f2zBZu_qFMSRHNyxkqiVuBD2P2qOfX1B4CA2LsWf-2anaEu-FBieDT8PiwxrfdR&sig=AHIEtbTJIbQ25sQ0_aTPJAl6YrWmzvtW3Q
  8. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The Yanmar Diesel Outboard was very reliable and very low on fuel consumption. But heavy and not easy to operate. The engine had to be bolted through the stern (no easy removal) and when tilted it could not be locked in the up position. Plus its vibrations could tear the stern of your boat apart. But for government or commercial application it was liked very much.

General aspects of diesel outboard engines:

Due to its specific combustion process, diesel engines especially direct injection diesel engines run much harder then petrol engines. Compensating the different momentums and torques of reciprocating engines on 1 or 2 cylinder versions of diesel engines is very difficult and expensive. A 4 or 6 cylinder outboard engine would be to heavy.

The lower power to weight ratio of diesel engines demands the use of turbo or compressor charging. Small high efficient and clean modern common rail diesel engines require high quality diesel fuel (low sulfur automotive diesel like the european EN 590 diesel). Marine Diesel Oil (MDO) or Marine Gas Oil (MGO) are not usable for this type of engines. The pleasure boating world can live with that fact, the commercial world would like at least the usage of MGO for this type of engines.

There will be a big market for diesel outboard engines both in pleasure and commercial boating in the 40 to 100 HP range, if they are:

- not to heavy (two man have to be able to carry the engine)
    - have smooth running characteristics
    - are reliable and low on fuel consumption
    - low on maintenance costs
    - tolerant on fuel quality
    - affordable (the Yanmar was to expensive for its time)

The commercial shipping world (SOLAS) would love to delete petrol stores from mercant ships. MGO is always available on ships for the emergency Gens and would not require additional tanks and safety measurements.

HTM09
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

At 155kg fora 55 HP outboard I would relax on the self stimulation waiting for worldwide adoption for Rescue Boats.
  10. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

As far as yachts are concerned You are probably correct. For mercant ships its still on the heavy side but acceptable. This is the weight of the prototype engine. Lets hope it loses some kilos til production starts. Otherwise it will be another development for the museum.
  11. Hastings Harry

Hastings Harry New Member

Diesel outboard

I have one!

A diesel outboard that is. A new 40 Hp 1100cc Chinese Vee Twin to go on the back of my old 1976 Pride Explorer 17 speedboat. I have only run it in a test tank at present just to make sure it starts and wouldn't fall to pieces but it started and sounds awesome. Blows water everywhere. The boat is currently upside down in the garage drying out for a new coat of 2 pack. Bloody hell, if I'd known how much work there is in fixing up an old boat! It's like doing a house renovation, everything needs to be changed. The old motor was a 55 Hp two stroke Johnson 55 Hp so we will see. I'll let you know as things progress.

Cheers Phil
  12. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Does anybody know anything about the Klaxon diesel outboard?
  13. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

I remember in the early 2000's, there was a company in Florida making diesel outboard engines that would replace mercury 2.5l powerheads. I had been asked to be part of the beta test group (I was trying to make a cummins powered Intimidator competitive in drag racing) but never heard anything else about it. Don't know if they ever hit production.