Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for JetForums

Deutz Engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by captdbg, Jan 11, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captdbg

captdbg New Member

Puert Vallarta Mexico,Dripping Springs Texas
    Hi All boss man wants to up grade to a bigger boat he's looking at a 1995 Broward with 1500hp Deutz engines that were overhauled in 2010. How hard is it to get parts for them and to get someone to work on them? We cruise in Mexico and Central America on the West Coast.We stay here full time returning to the states every 3 or 4 years. Also any comments on the Broward Thanks
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Hugo Stamp / Ft.Lauderdale would be your parts and factory service in the S.E. And Caribbean. Parts are available but costly. Some of the older series such as the 604s parts re getting thin. Your boss must be eyeballing Abbracci as not to many Browards had Deutz mains installed and as a matter of fact that was the only Broward to have Deutz as main engines.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Deutz was all absorbed into Wartsilla.

Their support is poor even for late model ones.

Try having to get custom made cylinder heads for engines delivered in 2005.

The parts will disappear quickly, personally I would avoid Deutz powered vessels if at all possible.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Trying to source parts for both makes of engine, even in Europe, is a nightmare. None of their factories, warehouses or parts staff seem to talk to each other, let alone know their own colleague's name, email or phone number. This just my experience, since they were taken over.

Before that, the 2 boats I was on with Deutz engines were very well looked after by the company.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On the other hand, Deutz problems are not a secret. I'm sure the current owner knows of support issues already.
    If your boss has the hots for the ship, low-ball an offer knowing your going to re-power.

Nobody could enjoy a ship knowing it will be a service nightmare in the future.
  6. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Deutz Marine Engines

Do to the contract with Wartsilla, Deutz is not allowed to build medium to large size marine engines. Some of their larger engines are still built under the brand name MWM in Mannheim but only for stationary purposes. The smaller Deutz marine engines are sold and supported by and under the name of Vetus in Europe. And some of the Volvo Penta diesel engines are based on Deutz engines.

I am with Fish, getting spareparts for their older Deutz commercial engines is a a nightmare. But at their time, they where great engines. Deutz developed for example the first air cooled diesel engine. They were used extensively in life boats and commercial tenders (and trucks of course).

Attached Files: