Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Glendinning

Detroit Diesel 8v92 Oil questions

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Pio Casadey, Nov 4, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pio Casadey

Pio Casadey New Member

Hello there. I was hopping for some help in clearing up what type of oil to use, delo 100 40w or rotella t1. I changed the oil my self last season using the rotella and now I wanted my mechanic to do it but he said that delo 100 was the only oil that should be used in these engines is that correct?
    Also does anyone now how to stop the small oil leak that is coming from the side oil pan plugs. it as simple as just torqueing them down a bit or something else. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Delo 100 40W is what most people use but many use Rotella and it s fine As long as it s straight 40

Do not use Delo 400 40W, they charged the formulation in the early 2000s and it s no longer compatible with Two stroke DDs
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Look at the API tag. It has to cover CF2. Not CF3 or 4. CF2.
    Delo100/40 I think covers it. Shell T1/40 Covers it. NAPA Fleet, PN75118 Covers it.

Attached Files:

4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

As far as your leak goes, yes try snugging it up. But do not over do it, as it may break or strip out. If it's cross threaded you may have a problem and have to re tap the threads, carefully. You could also try some Teflon tape on the plug too.
    What should he do Capt Ralph? see what the pro says....
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Don't condemn the plugs yet. A light oil leak down the pan side may just be collecting on the plug threads. Wipe your fingers along the pan sides above the plugs. If it's oil slippery, the leak is from above.
    Usually the pan gasket or air box covers.
    I'm assuming it's a J&T cast oil pan. Usually not a problem. If you really think it's the plugs, Try to snug them, don't lean on them, Just snug.
    If your still convinced it's the plug, wait till next oil change. Put a pan down there and plan on another 1/2 gallon of oil coming out. Pull the plug, reseal with 505 or blue dope and re-install.
  6. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

And there you have it...do what the master says...he has seen it and done it all probably a million times