Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno

Detroit Diesel 8.2 Parts

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Ken Bracewell, Jun 4, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

My dad is looking for the marine-specific parts for 250 HP 8.2 so that he can have a spare engine completely rebuilt and dyno tested the bench.
    Specifically, I think he's looking for an exhaust manifold, intake manifold, bell housing and flywheel.
    Does anyone have a lead on these things? He would probably also buy a wholely rebuilt engine if it came with a warranty.
    FYI- He's located in Southwest Ontario on the Great Lakes.
    Thanks for any help.
    Ken
  2. Ken Bracewell

Problem with the old one

As an aside...
    The reason for the replacing the existing engine is a strange one.
    At the beginning of last season, one of the engines started to severely leak oil from the rear main seal. He rigged a sump-pump to recycle the oil until while he weighed his options for replacement. After a couple of days of running like this, the problem corrected itself. :confused: So, he continued to run the engine daily for the remainder of the season.
    This year, the problem has returned. Is it possible that this has something to do with a stuck valve as a result of sitting dormant all winter?
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It does sound like winter has something to do with the leak. It's possible that the rear main seal is shrinking during the winter and possibly moving out of place and then not re-seating itself when it re-swells.

Finding a complete bad engine would probably be your dad's best route considering the parts he's looking for. I would try e-mailing detroit diesel dealers and see if they have one laying around or the parts laying around.
  4. Ken Bracewell

I think he's in the process of replacing the rear main seal this evening. He called me cursing up a storm this afternoon :mad:
  5. Ken Bracewell

The swearing is over. Main seal wasn't seated properly and a new one has been installed. My dad and little brother did the whole job themselves- gotta love Canadian ingenuity. Especially the sump pump I mentioned earlier. My dad placed a plastic pan beneath the transmission to collect the oil leaking from the seal. In the pan was a pump with a float switch that would recylcle the oil back into the engine. ;)
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

A caveat: IIRC, there were two problem areas associated with the early versions of these engines. The exhaust manifolds were swiss cheese and the heat exchanger rear face rubbed on the motor until the coolant got up and left.

"Swearing is the laxative that purges the soul".
    ---unknown
  7. sr dumstorf

sr dumstorf New Member

Jasper engine company does a great job rebuilding the 8.2, dyno results and all if requested
  8. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Is your dad's name Rube, as in Rube Goldberg? Neat little setup to get the blood back into the patient. Was thinking if not the seal then perhaps some backpressure blowing oil past the seal.
    The only real problem I see with this whole situation, is that everyone is Canadian (just bustin' on ya Ken). Glad to see it worked out.