Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

detroit 671 ti low oil pressure

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by canepole, Aug 5, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. canepole

canepole New Member

Can someone shed sum light on 671s having low oil pressure at idle about 5500. It seems to only have 4 or 5 pounds of pressure engines have only 350 hrs. rebuilt by J&T.Otherwise, run great. From some other post it seems to me a lot of people have had the same problem.
  2. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

do you mean 550 rpm?

thats pretty low for idle.

does the oil pressure increase with engine speed?

Is the alarm going off?

can you check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

can you check tacs?

at idle and warmed up the 671 does not make a lot of oil pressure.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

71s need about 5 psi warm. Please ensure your using CF-2 / 40w oil.
    When your making horsepower, you should see 30+(40?) psi on oil pressure.
  4. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

agree
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

550 rpms is a bit low. I'm not super familiar with 671's as it's been years since I've run a set. With 12v71's which I've run lots of, it's very common for them to have 2-8 psi of oil pressure at dead idle in gear, after running at cruise. This is measured by the gauge on the dash which isn't nearly as precise as a mechanical gauge within feet of the engine room. One yacht with a lot of hours we had to change the alarm senders from 5 psi to 2 psi. But had one with a fresh rebuild from the dealer with all D.D. parts that would sound the alarm for a few seconds when shifting in and out of gear after the oil was hot with a 5 psi alarm sender. I've noticed the Shell 40w seems to lose more oil pressure (after 50 hours on the oil) than other brands. I prefer the Mobil Delvac 40W in D.D. 2 strokes.
  6. canepole

canepole New Member

yes 550 rpm at hot idle. oil pressure does increase with engine speed. alarm only on starboard but both are right at 5 psi. what is a correct idle rpm for that engine ? next step will be to put a gauge on engine. I am looking at buying this boat and everything else checks out ok, however I am not anywhere close about a ten hr. drive away. That's why I am trying to get all the info I can before making another trip. And a real thanks to everyone that has replied this is a real help to me.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember 550 was the warm idle for 71s. Hard to keep sometimes when engaging the clutch.
    On those older DDs that have a time with the clutch & governor, I bump the idle up a bit to 550/600 rpm in gear. Sometimes 1/4 turn on the buffer screw is enough (be careful here).
    Usually resulting in a neutral idle around 600 to 650.
    Twin Disk clutches should not be engaged over 750 rpm.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

In my youth I fitted a few 2 psi switches to 8V 71's to over come the problem when the vehicles were hot and they came to a halt, some needed it and others didn't.