Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Design Contest

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by lancasterboat, Jul 1, 2011.

1. lancasterboat

lancasterboat New Member

I have a friend who has a 100' Breaux Bay Craft, all aluminum. He wants to turn it into a pleasure yacht. With a nod to turn of the century styling and wood work.Our conversations have led us to consider proposing a design contest.

The idea is to propose a design contest give potential entrants a picture of the boat and its specs, then offer a prize to the winning design. I am looking for some ideas about how to set up such a contest. Who has done this? What do potential designers need?

cheers,

Jonathan
  2. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi,

Usually, your friend would look for an exterior designer that he likes (there work). Contact him/her and see if there interested in a design proposal for your friend. After you settle on a design, you'll have to start talking to builders, Nav Archs, Engineers, interior designers to see what costs are involved... I would write off $20m+ for a 100'.

Do you have a Profile of the boat...?

As for the contest... what's the prize... Ferrari... Lamborghini, usually designers don't go cheap :rolleyes: . And at the end of the day, a contest would make the odds of a designer winning the 1st prize slim at best... hope I was of some help. Cheers

Far