Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Definition of restricted in ability to maneuver

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Capt Fred, May 31, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Returning to my port still in open water, I saw recreational 45' sportfisher towing a small RIB, making about 14 kt on my port side crossing my bow. Seeing the boat make good speed, showing no day shape and towing a small boat I continued my course. At the last moment the other boat changed speed and direction but by his jestures, he thought he was the stand on vessel. My reading of the rules leads me to believe he was not severely restricted because the tow was small, making good speed and not showing the ball diamond ball day shape. Anybody see this differently? Of course I know there a other rules and I was in the process changing course and speed to avoid a collision. Just want to hear other opinions regard towing and day shapes on a recreation boat. Thanks
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Could be used, probably should be used, not generally used, and changes nothing either way, creates no excuse for wreck. Simple story. You saw them, they saw you, you avoided collision. End of story. Common sense prevailed.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

In order for a tow vessel to declare themselves RAM, they must be severely limited in their ability to deviate course. Towing a tender would RARELY constitute this. And in order for them to declare such, they must be displaying the proper day shapes, or lights at night.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I agree, Towing a tender doesn’t make a vessel a RAM unless the conditions are really causing issues. Something like a 100 footer towing a 35’ CC in a narrow channel with a x wind…

You were stand on, he way give way. Clear cut.

I would have maintained course and speed and sounded 5 blasts

a few months ago I had a similar issue with a parasail boat. Sounded 5 blasts, maintained course. The guy seemed upset. I looked it up. The USCG had ruled that parasail operations are not RAM.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On his green side also.
    This is why I like real loud horns, wakes them up.
  6. olderboater

Every day, however, you'll face circumstances where another operator doesn't follow the rules. You can't yell "Halt" and have things stop while some tribunal from the heavens makes a ruling. You learn to just live with it, avoid accidents, and go on your way. I watch the other boat that was wrong just merrily go on it's way, oblivious to the rules or not caring. But then, that also happens on the road daily. Cars that are supposed to yield, do not, but instead act as if they have the right of way. I'm just happy to have avoided and accident.

Yes, the towing boat should have given way, but it didn't, and the next one may not either.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

However, there is that catch all, All will do everything by turning, stopping or applying reverse power and including safely deviating from the rules, to avoid a collision.
    I do believe in this because, when a collision does happen, it is everybodys fault.
    It is just nice to have loud horns growling when you do have to turn, stop, backup or safely bend the rules.
    Horns need to be sounding 5 also to alert other boats near to notice you and be alert for your sudden maneuvers.

Naw, Skippy Fred, We can gripe, but that is usually the best that we can get away with.
    If you got a boat name, warn your friends to look out for the SFB.
  8. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

If we started a list of sportfish boats that didn't follow the rules...... we'd be here awhile.
    Fixinbones likes this.
  9. olderboater

It's not one type of boat and I think if you look around, you'll find a very small percentage of accidents have anything to do with not following rules. Most are simply human error, but not in rules, just in operation. Driver mistakes. Inattentiveness. Now many are inadequate watch or failure to avoid an accident so rules violations in that regard, but not over who stands or who belongs where. Far more basic things.
  10. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

Thanks all, I appreciate your replys!