Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for MotorCheck

DeFever

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Loren Schweizer, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Just a suggestion, Carl.
    I notice there is no section here dedicated to DeFever.
    Art DeFever was the granddaddy of the modern trawler movement, starting post WWII out of San Diego, emulating the commercial fish boats of that era.
    He was a prolific designer of smaller boats (the 41), the very popular 44, fast trawlers (the POC--Performance Offshore Cruiser line in cored hulls), and some 60'-ish large boats.

Full disclosure: working at the dealer at the time (2003-2006) in FLL, we sold a bunch of 49 Cockpit models (the 44 + 5) at the boat shows. Thickest hulls I ever saw (while adding bow thrusters), good wiring/plumbing, very good joinery, iffy quality stainless bits here and there...but sea-kindly.
    Warranty issues were the killer, in all honesty, along with the sub-prime housing bubble about to burst.
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Arthur DeFever was indeed a prolific designer, was even behind the Feadships known as LAC I or II in 1976: http://www.***********/en/fleet/yacht/lac-ii
    Even though they are not crediting him on this site.
    From Tuna Seiners to MegaYachts to TrawlerYachts, at the forefront of a lot of trends we take for granted now.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I just searched YF and found about a 125 posts referencing DeFever. Should be enough to kick-start a forum. Give me a few days Loren. Smack in the middle of migrating YF to new servers.