Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Deckhand Duties

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Yacht News, Sep 14, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

A deckhand's job onboard can be quite busy as he or she has a myriad of tasks to complete, whether the vessel is at sea or maneuvering in or out of port or even alongside. One of these tasks is washing down the yacht. Depending on the size of the yacht this is done by multiple persons. Here is a snippet of what goes on.

2. Yacht News

Mooring...

3. Yacht News

Mooring part 2

4. BRyachts

BRyachts Member

He's pretty good, covers a lot of info. The set up of flaking and heaving was good and is pretty standard. But from the time of heaving to full tie your usually really hauling butt and rarely have time or manpower to do the full stopper line on the first set up, save that for the fine adjustment when you come back on the second pass. Usually you'll be getting that first line on quick then heading to mid-ship to get your primary springs on. Or vice versa, spring first to hold you against current/wind, then bow or stern depending on conditions and sequence.
    Most times for us, the mate or Capt will call the line sequence in advance depending on conditions. As in something like 2-4-1-3. Which would be fwd spring, stern, bow, aft spring, or whatever sequence the conditions dictate. Most boats just don't have the man power to do all four lines at once and everybody has at least double duty. Bow-spring and stern spring etc. Also usually only a couple of dock hands so you need to inform them of your intended sequence.
    Then, once secure, come back and do fine the adj. with the stoppers when you have time. Then finally doubling up.
    Same on departure, line sequence will be called out in advance. Off current/off wind lines dropped first, then at the last second the stressed lines dropped.
    Me being the engineer, I usually work the aft deck with a deckie if available. Not being visible to the Capt, I'll wear my engine room headset during all maneuvering letting him know of traffic, obstacles etc. When docking I'll be calling aft distance and aft side distance then jump on the lines when in range, usually about 2-3 ft. Gotta keep the aft lines short as possible and out of the water and prop range in case he has to bump the gears. Usually the mate will be bow with his deckie, and be directly visible to Capt and secondary in radio contact.
    Interior crew will be on deck handling fenders.
  5. Yacht News

Dropping the anchor...