Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

De-Painting Aluminum?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ayachtguy, Nov 6, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Looking for best way to remove paint from aluminum without damaging or discoloring the aluminum. Plan to buff aluminum to high shine, but have paint on it at present. Ideas?
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

I am currently working on a similar project. Paint stripper, alumaprep, fine sand with random orbital, machine buff with cutting compound, polish with flitz. Seems to be working well, but it does take time.
  3. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Mild but vicious stripper

I was actually more concerned with a good paint stripper that wouldn't discolor or etch the aluminum. I know Flitz, which is a lot of elbow grease, but need to get the paint off first (and easily). Open for ideas.
  4. Garry Hartshorn

That is a list of the process that I am going through. No easy way out.
  5. Garry Hartshorn

If the surface hase been painted properly then it is already etched so you need to strip the paint, deep clean the surface, then you have an even surface to start working with. I like to linish the surface, which is the fine sanding then begin polishing and I have found that bu machine polishing with a cutting compound is quite quick and makes the final polish with flitz pretty easy.

I put it off for 6 months because it seemed too hard but it's not really and it comes out really well.
  6. nano-J

nano-J New Member