Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

DD 6v92 stop switch

Discussion in 'Engines' started by PhilG57, May 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PhilG57

PhilG57 New Member

On a friend's Sea Ray, the stop switch clicked off while running causing the engine to shut down. We reset the switch, and got underway again, but I'm wondering how those switches work. This switch has a canister the size of a decent sized soup can plus at least a couple of wires going into it.

Does tripping the switch stop the fuel flow, block the air intake, do both, or something else/more? Also, I'm led to believe installation on a Sea Ray might be different from another manufacturer; is that reasonable?

Thanks.
  2. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

Fuel Shutoff Solenoid

The "soup can" is a simple solenoid that pulls a rod connected to the fuel delivery switch. It's very easy to pull manually should you ever have a problem with the engine not shutting down.

ROCKY
  3. PhilG57

PhilG57 New Member

So, then, it's an electrical fuel delivery shut off only. No damping of the intake air. Got it. Many thanks.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The soup can pulls the governor and rack to "no fuel" and the engine dies. There is usually a push button that has to pushed to energize the solenoid and shut the engine down.
    There is a emergency shut down that is usually a pull cable. This closes a flapper on top of the blowers and stops/reduce the air to the engine. I have had this release once and scared the stuff out of me. This does require a manual reset on top of the motor.
    ,Ralph