Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Perko

Daylight Savings Time (DST) in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Arniev, Mar 8, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Just a reminder for all YF Members and Friends in the U.S.:

Most of the U.S. will be moving into Daylight Savings Time at 2:00am/11March.

Some computers/software systems may be affected by this advance in DST.

"Unless certain updates are applied to your computer, it is possible that the time zone settings for your computer's system clock may be incorrect during this four week period" from March 11, the day DST takes effect this year, through April 11, the date it would have taken effect before the U.S. government decided to make the move to an earlier DST, Microsoft's DST support site explains.

"When your time zone settings are incorrect your clock may be off by one hour, and certain applications running on your Windows based computer may not display the correct time," Microsoft's support site continues.

Patches/updates for Windows and other Microsoft s/w are available in the Microsoft website.

Arnie
    :)

(Source: ZDNet)
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Alan, on behalf of all the computer morons out there, thanks for the usual good--and timely--info.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Here's a patch for you to fix DST:
    Wake up at 2:01 AM on Sunday, March 11
    Go to your computer
    Click on Control Panel
    Click on Date and Time
    Change time to one hour ahead (due to your slow movement, it may be 3:02)
    Press Ok
    Close Control Panel
    Go back to bed. The world will still be there when you wake up, just some of your friends may be an hour late.
    Pay me millions for the fix.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

That's no fun!
    I, personally, prefer the MS approach:

"Press x to download IF you REALLY have an honest to god, non-pirated version of MS XP. If not, you will die.
    Next, save to disc.
    Want fries with that?
    Next, press continue
    Next, attach new file and save
    Want coffee with that?
    Next, do this, press that, choose the other and configure dollars per doughnut.
    Press finish

CaptTom may be on to something, but don't tell Mr. Gates I said so.
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Like this pc that i am on right now the clock is saying it is 12:34 am and the actual clock here in Barbados is saying 01:34.
    Now in my bedroom my pc clock says 11:34pm (and no it is not slow) so i do not know what is going on. DST related?
  6. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

These are two possible reasons why your pc clocks and actual clocks are not synchronized:
    1. PC battery is defective, and therefore needs to be replaced.
    2. Your PC may be infected by a virus or malware, which usually messes up a pc's onboard clock.

I suggest you download a free Atomic Clock Syncronization Software, that allows you to check the correct time in your specific location and automatically adjusts your pc's onboard clock to the correct time. The software can be configured to check the time upon PC Start-Up, or you can "Ping" the server manually. Of course, you have to be connected to the Internet to use this software. Here's the website:

http://www.download.com/Atomic-Clock-Sync/3000-2350-10061823.html

Hope this works!
    Arnie
  7. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Hey I am just worried about the curtains fading with that extra hour of sunlight................................................:D
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You sound more like a cow cocky from Queensland with that statement than where your Avtar says you hail from.
  9. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Well, here it is, Sunday morning. The sun came up, the paper was delivered, electricity is still on, money is still in the bank, Outlook calendar is still chock full of appointments, my teenagers are still at each other's throats, yeah, life goes on, even if the clocks did change a few weeks early.
    Thanks to all who helped in taking care of this problem so I could lead a normal life (I remember the Y2K days).
    Anyone experience any issues?
  10. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

I actually lost power for about an hour early Sunday morning around 4am. I was fearing the worst. Turns out it resulted from a disagreement between a Peterbilt and a telephone pole. The Peterbilt won. :rolleyes:
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'm having an issue... my PDA won't accept the new time. And I seriously can't figure out why. It's synched (or at least should be) to my computer, which is showing the correct time yet it keeps reverting to the wrong time. Even if I manually set it, it keeps going back. I'm going to try again this evening when I get home, see what happens then. :confused:
  12. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

What kind of PDA is it? Depending on the model it might have an autoupdate setting attached to the time that could be giving you your problems...
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Dell Axim x51v.

Even if it does have an auto-update, the only source it can update from would be my computer.... which is right.

Right?
  14. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

I manually adjusted my clock forward in Windows yesterday. Today, it reverted back! Go figure. :rolleyes:
  15. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Hi, Kevin.
    Most PDA software allow "directional" updates ... which means you can:
    1. Update your PDA files stored in your PC -from- your PDA.
    2. Update your PDA files stored in your PDA -from- your PC.
    Please check your Software Update Configuration and ensure that you are UPDATING files in your PDA -from- your PC. This will also automatically update your PDA's clock.
    Hope this works!
    Arnie
  16. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Hi, Carl.
    Manual adjustments made to onboard clocks in Windows usually works.
    The only other explanation I can think of is that your -Firewall- or other -Protection Software, like "Spybot"- DID NOT ALLOW any modifications to your pc's onboard clock. If this is what happened, you usually get a small "window" asking you "permission" to ALLOW or NOT ALLOW changes to the system.
    Anyway ... you've probably thought about this already.
    Arnie
  17. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

18. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Thanks Arnie! Problem fixed. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the bottom right corner of my screen.
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

No dice Arnie...

My PDA is set to update from the PC to the PDA. The PC time is correct. Yet when it updates the PDA the time still goes back one hour. I've just corrected it manually and set the PDA to not update the date/time.
  20. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

LOL ........ that sure beats reinstalling the DST patch from Windows Update!