Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Walker

Darling Coastal Cruiser

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Stacy Shewey, Dec 14, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Stacy Shewey

Stacy Shewey New Member

I have not heard of this boat before. Right now it is in fresh water, but we would bring it to salt. Is an aluminum hull not ideal for the sea. Would we have to invest right out of the gate to have it be able to sit in salt?

What is the reputation of these boats? Any known habitual issues with a Darling? I would appreciate any comments and information.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's what I'd refer to as a house yacht, combination houseboat and yacht. She's not something you'd want to get into anything serious with, maybe 3'-4' chop. Aluminum can handle salt fine. A lot of yachts, work vessels and even C.G. boats are aluminum. However if you'd like to see a very similar house yacht in glass check Harbor Master or Bluewater. Of the bunch if I were going that route I'd probably go with the Bluewater. Most of these boats in the smaller sizes have gas engines, but I see that Darling has some larger boats with diesel. Not sure how I feel about making the investment for diesels in these. You'll usually find these type vessels on protected waters, often lakes, and they can be a distance from most diesel service.
  3. Stacy Shewey

Stacy Shewey New Member

This is a 60', twin Caterpillar 3126 Diesel engines, 385 hp each. We live in Jacksonville and would take it down to the bahamas and maybe even DR. I do not want a house boat. I have been trying to research this and can not find any info on this yacht. It does seem to be more of a lake cruiser based on it only holding 600 gal of fuel, 300 water, and 17kw generator.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Those are good motors. It's the boat I'm concerned with. I don't see it as one for those kinds of trips.
  5. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I have to agree with Cap, this is not the boat you want to go to the Bahamas or the DR in. I'd suggest looking at a Hatteras or something else in that quality for what you want to do.