Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Mulder

Cutting out a piece of SS railing

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Worthy vessel, Aug 20, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Worthy vessel

Worthy vessel Member

I would like to cut out a piece of railing on my 62' Neptunus to allow for side boarding.
    I would replace the piece cut out with a SS cord and attach it to an eyelet added to the cut ends. Anyone have an idea of who would do this kind of work and can it be done at the dock or does it need to be a boatyard?
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Depending on size of your rail as well as its structure in the location of the new installation you're considering, quite likely there is hardware out there that can let this be an easy job performed at your slip.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

New stainless crimpless hardware out there, too. Just replaced by lifelines with no crimping....all stainless...
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m not sure what you meant about replacing the section by an SS Cord.

Any decent welder should be able to cut the section, weld a hinge on one end and a latch on the other. Depending on the location you want it to be solid when closed

Some marinas do not allow welding for safety reasons so you may have to move the boat to a yard for a day but you don’t have to haul out.
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

ditto on the hinge solution
  7. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

Mid 2000 Carver 530's had a section which would slide forward inside the rail so you could access the starboard side door, then it would slide back in place. It also had a twist lock built in so it would lock in place like a extendable boat hook. Pretty simple and sleek design.
  8. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

https://www.suncorstainless.com/quick-attachtm

This was a resource I used...you could make a bridge with a pelican hook and cable with a toggle to make a cable bridge in the new rail opening...depends on its overall structure surrounding the new opening. My issue with a hinge is that round rail folding to round rail is a bit sloppy and tends to face distortion and failure.