Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander

Customs and Coast Guard question for captains.

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Rod11, Apr 25, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rod11

Rod11 New Member

Hi.

I was wondering what is the correct procedure for a yacht to leave a port in the USA or Caribbean.

I mean, in my country, once the boat is fully ready to leave, captain has to go to the Port Authority with all the documents of the boat and crew, if everything is in order he gets a written permission to leave.

To make it short, lets say you are in some marina in Fort Lauderdale and you want to leave for Miami. What do you need to do in legal terms?
    What if you are leaving Fort Lauderdale to go to Bahamas or some other country?

Thanks.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

You don't have to do anything if you are a US vessel..Just leave.
    If you are on a foreign vessel on a Cruising Permit, it may be different..:cool:
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

oh come on... do you really expect to get answers to your posts without telling us what flag the boat is flying? you say "in my country" yet your me port is shown as Ft Lauderdale...

A US flagged vessel doesn't have to do anything to go from FTL to Miami, even though many would argue that Miami is south of the border... :) I believe that a foreign flagged boat on a cruising permit will only be required to call US Customs upon arriving in Miami.

A US flagged boat doens't have to do anything when heading to the Bahamas but will obviuously have to clear customs and immigration upon returning.

outsiude the US, rules will vary by country... in the bahamas, you don't have to do anything when leaving their waters except returning immigration cards, which most people dont' bother doing. in the bahamas your cruising permit allows you to travel from port to port wiuthout having to check in. On the other hand, it is my understanding that in Cuba vessels have to clear in and out of every port and obtain permission.
  4. Rod11

Rod11 New Member

Thanks norseman and pascal.

Pascal, I'm currently located in FLL, but I don't live here. And I'm not currently on a boat, I was taking a walk in the marinas and saw big and small yachts coming in and out and then the question came to my mind.

I used to work on ocean going fishing vessels back in my country, and I know very well there is a procedure you have to go thru with local Coast Guard office before you leave (vessel and crew paperwork).

I wondered what a FOREIGN flagged yacht will have to do before getting into Bahia Mar for instance, and before leaving the marina.

Thanks.
  5. weto

weto Senior Member

So, where are you from Rod ?:confused:
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not true, a foriegn flagged vessel with a cruising permit doesn't have to do anything when travelling from one Port in the US to another Port in the US. The cruising permit says that the vessel is free to cruise in US waters until the permit expires.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For those working on U.S.-flagged yachts or unfamiliar with the term, basically, a U.S. Customs cruising permit allows any documented vessel with a pleasure registry, as well as any undocumented U.S.-flagged pleasure vessel, to proceed from port to port in the U.S. without having to “re-clear” upon arrival at the next U.S. port. To qualify for this privilege, the yacht shall be used exclusively for pleasure and shall not transport merchandise nor carry passengers for pay.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For those working on U.S.-flagged yachts or unfamiliar with the term, basically, a U.S. Customs cruising permit allows any documented vessel with a pleasure registry, as well as any undocumented U.S.-flagged pleasure vessel, to proceed from port to port in the U.S. without having to “re-clear” upon arrival at the next U.S. port. To qualify for this privilege, the yacht shall be used exclusively for pleasure and shall not transport merchandise nor carry passengers for pay.

US Customs Cruising Permit for Yachts | The Triton
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

11. captainviv

captainviv Member

that is correct . having a cruising permit on a foreign flagged vessel allows you to "stay" for 1 year , cruise between different ports BUT , you have to notify authorities on your movements . been there , done that ..... some folks do not notify when cruising between ports , but i for one , would not like to deal with the complications if you are discovered not complying
  12. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

How it works in the Med

Whatever flag you are running, the rule is that you have to check in at the first port having a customs office (check your handbook), if you travel within this country further on, you need not to do anything, if you leave, you have to check out again at the latest port en route. Some countries are very strict (Slovenia/Piran, Croatia), some do not care at all (Italy). make sure noone leave the boat while the captain is at customs!!! Specially in summer bring copied crew lists(plural!) incl passwort number and nationality saves you a lot of time.

PS At least thats how I did it for the last 10+ years sailing the Med during holidays....
  13. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

J- you should be careful what you put out there as fact. Pascal is correct that Foreign Flagged yachts with a Cruising License (only available to private vessels) must report their movement to US Customs. This is done after the move has been made with a phone call to office designated for your area (not always the easiest thing to determine in less-traveled areas).

Additionally, foreign vessels must file a prior notice of arrival with Homeland security whenever moving from one Coast Guard Captain of The Port Zone to another.