Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Abeking

cummins vs john deere

Discussion in 'Engines' started by bigbillys, Mar 13, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bigbillys

bigbillys New Member

Looking at selene trawlers. One has cummins 6bta5.9m 330 hp 1800 hrs. The other has john deere 6068sfm m4 267 hp with 600 hrs. Experience with these engines? Preferences? Longevity? Seems to me the deere would be preferable being sleeved and rebuildable in place where as the cummins has to come out to be rebuilt.
  2. travler

travler Senior Member

a VERY GOOD point IMO only i would prefer the sleeved engine over the no sleeved any day for a number of reasons

travler
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on how you're going to run the boat. John Deere's handle slower rpm's better and are rated to go more hours then the Cummins. The Cummins are more hp, will cruise faster, and like to be run at cruise. Both are good engines, it really depends on what you're planning on doing with the boat.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Seems like a no brainer to me. The Deer has one third the hours of the Cummins and it's sleeved.
  5. CR CRUISER

CR CRUISER Member

I've installed variations of both of these motors into new boats. I favour the John Deere just because of how easily they start. The Cummins has to have the preheaters functioning properly to get it going when cold. The JD doesn't require any pre-heat. I actually won a bet a few years ago by starting one up, stone cold, with a ratchet on the crank pulley nut.