Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Cummins CE480 vs QSC500 ?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Monsterair, May 6, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Monsterair

Monsterair New Member

I'm in the process of purchasing either an 05' Sea Ray 420 Sundancer or an 06' Sea Ray 44 Sundancer. The main difference, besides increased price, is the upgrade from the 480CEs to the "common rail" QSC500s. My question is what are the advantages of going to the 500s (besides increase in horsepower) and is it worth the price jump to the 06' (appx 20% increase on average). I've been told the QSC 500s are a much better motor but no one has explained why and what negatives exist in the 480s. Thanks. Any insight would be appreciated.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums.

There is a member here with a lot of Cummins experience called sbmar, he posts a lot of tech stuff at Boat Diesel.com and has a website http://www.sbmar.com/
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 480's are good motors and the only issue I know of with them is there is a small hose that connects to the turbo that likes to go bad every couple of years and blow off of the turbo. It's a cheap hose like a 14" long 1 1/4" rubber hose and I think goes from the turbo to the bypass, but cannot remember anymore. Just change them every 2 years and save an old one as a spare.

The 500 common rails are a little bit quieter and smoother running, a little more fuel efficient. But the only major thing you gain is the smart craft gauge system that shows you current fuel consumption and a few other things.

I wouldn't mind owning either engine, and if the boats exactly the same, wouldn't say the one with common rails is worth the extra 20% all things being equal.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might find that the hose described above is actually connected to the Air Fuel Ratio control on a non electronic engine. It will let the manifold boost pressure govern how far the fuel rack will open with low boost pressure thus keeping the black smoke down under acceleration.