Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

Cummins 480 CE engine stalling at idle..

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rmazone, May 1, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rmazone

rmazone New Member

I have a 2005 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge with 650 hr. on 2 480CE's. Recently the port engine (only) stalls about 40% of the time when the forward transmission is engaged. No stalling in reverse. I had the fuel polished and replaced both Racors and secondary engine filters. It still stalls when engaged forward. It does not stall with the engine sinc on.
    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    Rich
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What RPM is the engine idling at, in neutral? It sounds like 1 of 2 possible things. #1- If your propellors have a lot of growth on them, or are bent a lot, or the cutlass bearing has swelled and is tight on the shaft, the load is too much and it stalls the engine. See if the shaft turns with the same resistance (by hand in the engine room) as the other side or have a diver inspect and turn the propellors.

#2- This sounds more like your issue. It could just be that the idle rpm is too low causing the motor to stall when a load is put on it. With the synchronizer on, it sounds like it might be raising it a tad RPM wise to match the other engine causing it to not stall. Have the idle speed adjustment raised a tad so that the idle rpm's are the same.
  3. rmazone

rmazone New Member

Thanks CaptJ,
    The props do turn the same with equal pressure on them, I had my diver check that. The running gear is clean and the is no vibration at idle or any RPM range. I did notice, using my Smartcraft, that the port engine drops 15/30 RPM's at idle sitting at the dock. I'll see if there is an idle adjustment on the engine or it's controlled electronically.
    Rich