Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko

Crew: Deck hand pay w/o experience?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by WishIHadaBoat, Aug 22, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. WishIHadaBoat

WishIHadaBoat New Member

I’m thinking after I graduate college in the spring of ’07 I may go work as a deckhand for a season before I have to get a real job. What kinda pay should I expect, as a deck hand with no experience? What kind of work would I expect to do, and what kind of lifestyle would it be? Is there anything else i should consider?
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

What we do is a real job. If you came to me with that sort of comment you would not get off the dock !!
  3. brunick

brunick Senior Member

i for myself respect the work as a deckhand - i think they're doing most of the work aboard, don't they?

i asked myself the same question as WishIHadaBoat did but i came to the opinion that i wouldn't get a job as "holiday job" - this is a real job and i think if there is a training somewhere, WishIHadaBoat you should do it!

try to find some other holiday job (NOT THE ARMY!) and work there
  4. WishIHadaBoat

WishIHadaBoat New Member

Sorry didn’t mean to offend anyone, what I should have said instead of real job was career that I attended college for. I did not attend any training to be a deckhand, and I did not realize there was any. Is there anything I should do just to become the low man on the totem pole.
  5. Garry Hartshorn

I am not offended, hope I didn't offend you. but yachting like any other career is a comitment and if you don't approach it that way then you will fail. To get into yachting, get yourself to an area where there are a few yachts, talk to the captains, crews anyone connected with yachts. Be prepare to roll your sleeves up and get dirty.
  6. jimminychricket

jimminychricket New Member

I would say the same thing. I would deffinately not hire this fellow. Obviously he thinks it's all fun and games?
  7. carlnisbet

carlnisbet New Member

It must be a common thought

I have many staff, One of the criteria is not aptitude but attitude. The person that hires you will be looking for a person that will become part of the ship, not someone that just takes money and leaves. The world is full of over educated Academics, show me a person that just want's to live and breath the life of the ship and they will soon find promotion and great fulfilment. Most Captains start off as deckhands, and yes they proberbly had an education that had no relation to the position they hold now. If you would like a paid holiday on a Yacht try to find something else, because you will certainly upset the crew that you will be working closley with. I suggest that you get a job serving drinks with pink umbrellas for a while. at some resort Would you consider life as a in house helper for a billionaire? In most cases that is exactly what you are. Except that the house you are living in and help running may be worth a lot more than $20,000,000. May I suggest that you find a marine reasearch group that may welcome your help and education.
  8. EnigmaNZ

EnigmaNZ Member

Strikes me that working on a yacht you would have to have the personality that is easy to get along with, that likes to pitch in and help, that is reliable and likable, that can turn their hand to areas they aren't normally involved in, etc.

I would not want someone who is thinking more about after hours parties, all those single young ladies onboard, and whether they're within txt messaging range of their onshore friends. It is not a 9 to 5 job where you can knock off and leave any non completed job till the next day. If you follow the clock for duty time, forget it. If you think your hard done by, when required to put extra hours in due to circumstances, go get a desk job. For those boats that put to sea, your life, and the crew may depend on you doing your job well, if your a slacker, your dangerous. There are no temps to call on if you have a hangover after a drinking binge.

But for someone that loves the sea, boats, knows their port from their starboard, and enjoys being part of a team that works to enable some wealthy owner and his friends to enjoy their wealth, then it's the greatest job on Earth.
  9. Garry Hartshorn

AMEN BROTHER
  10. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Poseurs

Pay no attention to any of these poseurs above. They did not sail out of their mother's womb.

We all started out as novice so there is opportunity out there for you. But, it will take alot of work on your part to meet and greet as many captains and crew that you can. Networking is the thing and it will take massive face time on your part.

If you are legal to work in the US, then I would suggest that you get your resume in NOW with some of the windjammers that work the summer circuit in Maine. A great place to garner some real experience and get paid. Expect between $250-400 a week plus tips. You will live aboard.

Get on down there and start hitting the docks. Something will pop up and if you are in the right place, at the right time, with the right attitude, you'll get a berth.

Good luck!!
  11. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

There will always be those boats (large yachts) that will hire that young green deck hand for a season to use and abuse. Those boats are definetly a necessary evil because with out them, none of us would be an experienced sailor. My first yacht was horrible to work on but I got from the dock to the boat and then I was set. When I think back, I can't believe I acepted what I did.