Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Crank Vent Replacement Filters

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Timothy Tyler, Aug 17, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Timothy Tyler

Timothy Tyler New Member

I just purchased an '87 Viking 44 with 671-TI engines. In the process of moving a "Crank Vent" canister, the canister latches came undone and the filter inside just disintegrated. What my research has found is that the Crank Vent filtration system was made by Diesel Research Inc. It appears they may have gone out of business.

I'm scheduled to bring the boat home to Connecticut from Ontario in a week and need to find a work around for the filter problem so I can make the trip. The best solution for me would be replacement filters, but I can't find any information on where to buy them.

If they are no longer available, what are my other options to get the boat home? This can't be an uncommon problem, it looks like they were used on a lot of boats back then, but as I said I can't find a source for replacement filters or a solution for what is used to replace the Crank Vent unit itself.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

3. Timothy Tyler

Timothy Tyler New Member

Thanks for the reply, but I don't see how to make these work. The largest filter appears to be a 4" Diameter x 1/64" thick disc. The filter I'm trying to replace is about 8" diameter x 8" thick column of foam.

Any other ideas?
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I don't think you're talking about the crankcase vents sounds like the air intake at the turbo.
    I'll look for a picture of the crankcase vent.
  5. Timothy Tyler

Timothy Tyler New Member

If you search these forums for "Crank Vent" you'll some threads come up titled "Detroit 671." If you click on the first one and scroll down you'll see some pictures. The last picture is of the unit I'm talking about.
  6. Timothy Tyler

Timothy Tyler New Member

Upon doing some further research I found something characterized as a reticulated, open-pore, flexible, ether-type polyurethane foam. Part of the description is:
    • Filter Applications: Small engines, air compressors, hair dryers, face masks, vacuum cleaners, air conditioning, school and motel ventilators, oil-mist eliminators, automotive air cleaners, industrial panels, electric equipment, projector equipment and dust bag collectors.
    It's sold in sheets so my plan is to cut a strip 8" wide and roll it into an 8" cylinder that fits snugly into the Crank Vent canister. Typical life is listed as 5-10 years which works for me.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan?
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Parker-Racor do a CCV6000 that fits the 71.