Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

CR900 Man Engines smoking

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by CSkipR, Jun 11, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

My Man engines have started blowing dark smoke when accelerating. They only have 400 hrs and this has just started in the last 25 hrs.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check/change your fuel filters. If the engines are overpropped they will smoke heavily. Make sure you're hitting recommended top rpm's......Could also be a turbo issue or injectors, but check fuel filters first especially if it only recently started. It can also be growth on the bottom and running gear
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All good points CaptJ. At 400 hours you're right at a point where you should be changing oil, filters, etc. Has this problem continued after these changes?One thought; that area of the ICW like most of Florida is one big idle speed zone. RU getting these motors up to cruise speed often enough to avoid carbon build up. You may have to change injectors.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Man 900 smoking

I changed the fuel filters and cleaned the K&N filters. The fuel filters were pretty dirty so that could be the problem. They were changed about 50 hrs ago but I am in the Bahamas and have refueled several times so that could be the problem. Will check it out today.
    Changed oil approx 100 hrs ago but will change when I get home. Also have to have the heads retorqued & the heat exchangers cleaned.