Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Burger

CR900 Man Engines 652hrs

Discussion in 'Engines' started by CSkipR, Jun 2, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Well it happened again. Out 25 miles running to fishing grounds and both engines shut down to idle speed. Two years after the port engine oil cooler gasket blew in the Bahamas the starboard engine oil cooler gasket blew in exactly the same spot. This has been a common problem with all these particular model Man engines. Too bad they didn't have a recall to fix this problem. They will only repair if the engines are still under warranty. I will say besides this issue these engines have been great.
    It certainly makes a mess when you lose 5 gallons of oil under high pressure in the engine room. Cleanup is a pain in the ars.

One thing that surprised me from my Man mechanic he said when I reached the 1000hr service he did not recommend doing anything with the injectors. He said with the Man fuel filter system that injectors were hardly ever a problem.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

But let me guess, MAN has an "Upgraded part". That's what they used to call the redesign on the high pressure fuel line that used to blow on the MAN 1050's. They never admitted there was an issue with the origional design even though it was prevelant on those motors and the 1350's.
  3. Beau

Beau Senior Member

CSKIPR

I wonder why your mechanic didn't recommend doing the other side as preventative maintenance while he was already in the engine room? Maybe he should clean up that oil - nasty.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, I've found on the MAN's that once something strange on one side blows or breaks, the same part on the other engine isn't far behind it.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Because we were in the Bahamas and the mechanic that fixed the first engine was not a regular Man mechanic.
  6. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

Similar experience here with the same 900CRM engines. The port oil cooler went at about 400 hours and the starboard went about 20 hours later.

The issue on my boat is that the port (1st to go) was a 3 hour, 1 man job. The starboard, because it is outboard with very little clearance took 2 men almost 8 hours to complete.

If starboard had gone first, I definitely would have done the easier port one proactively.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Makes sense. On the service interval, every mechanic I've spoken with has said that the required change of injectors every 200 hours for my older 820 s was excessive. I mostly followed The schedule while in warranty, but have not since. I have 1400 hours now without any injector incident. I had rebuilts installed at the 1000 service and aside from a little more smoke than I use to have at start up, the engines have been fine As to filtration, along with the racors, I have double spin ons at each engine that I believe are around 2 micron each
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011