Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Westport

Covington 671TIBs

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Capt Ralph, Oct 10, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Our next project is to replace the rusted out steel sea water tubes on a Covington 671TIB.
    Clarke purchased what was left of Covington. Then destroyed all of the old product spares and support documentation. Flushed everything what was left.
    Western Branch now runs the shop. As helpful as they can be on the phone, there is not much they have left to offer.
    Hatteras was a large user of Covington and Western Branch is hoping to retrieve some drawings back from them. Of course Hatteras is in term of whole company sale, nobody there is in a hurry to respond.

Has anybody been here already? copper refit kit? It's going to be a mess no matter what I do, looking to see if anybody has been here already and has some (any) support to offer.
    Thx,
    Ralph
  2. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Do you have the old pipes? If nothing else is a available an automotive exhaust shop should be able to make those in stainless steel for you. Probably cheaper than any other place too.
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

could you change that component on your 671s from Covington to JnT?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Was thinking of that. Both marine-izers loved tubes and hoses.
    We have the room and also considered going back to DD standard plumbing.
    I'll be removing the Covington H/E next week for inspection and this may be a deciding point on how to re-rig the raw water system.

I am also going to check with my favorite muffler shop. The idea below has me intrigued.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Anyone should be able to bend those 1.5" or 2" steel pipes.....I'd stay with steel as I've seen just as many failures in the s/s" mainly around welds and such.