Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Cousteau's Calypso...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by rymert19, Sep 14, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rymert19

rymert19 New Member

Recently I have become very interested in information about Cousteau's famous research vessel "Calypso". I know only a few basic facts about the vessel, and unfortunately I cannot access the www.cousteau.org site because it insists that I do not have flash even though I do. regardless...

I was wondering if anybody knows more details about his vessel "Calypso", specifically its actual length and other important dimensions, what type of motor (single, twin, how much power...), deck plans, etc. Basically I would love to know all there is to know about this vessel.

Also, I am having trouble finding decent pictures of the vessel, so any links to pictures of it would be very appreciated.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. techmati

techmati Senior Member

that article has an inaccuracy, Mr. Cousteau never owned the yacht, it is well documented that she was leased to Mr. Cousteau for a token sum by Loel Guinness who also owned CALISTO OF NP (shown below) which remains in excellent condition today unlike CALYPSO. What a second life for these wooden minesweepers indeed.

I would like to know more about the history of CALISTO OF NP and CALYPSO.
    I have researched some about the first and this site is a nice read
    http://www.geocities.com/crodhull3/astoria_marine.htm

Attached Files:

4. airship

airship Senior Member

Here's a photo of the Calypso in 2005 (after sinking and refloating).

It would appear that mega-bucks are involved, restoration of the Calypso depends on the true ownership being established. More here, but in French...

I wonder how many of us were attracted to "the sea", having watched the marvellous documentaries of Yves Cousteau and the Calypso...?! Perhaps not quite so literally-entertaining as the lately-deceased Steve Irwin. But they both had their hearts in the right place (no pun intended)...R.I.P. "me ole mate", and respects to le commandant Cousteau!

A short excerpt of John Denver's Calypso. Oh heck, they're all dying on me... [tears]
  5. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

6. RER

RER Senior Member

7. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

There are recent strong rumours that see Prince Albert of Monaco negotiating the purchase of Calypso though his foundation for Saving the Oceans and the Oceanographic Museum of Monaco .

If true, it could be maybe the best scenario possible to save one of the real legendary vessels we all know about no matter from which part of the world we come:

http://www.nicematin.com/monaco/la-...ousteau-bientot-exposee-a-monaco.2145420.html