Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko

"Costa Magna" Proteksan yacht 1983

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by ombreetsoleil, Jul 30, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

An acquaintance of mine has chartered the "Costa Magna" at this moment and is around the St Tropez area.

He was a bit irritated a couple of days ago. He was having dinner on the yacht with thirteen people and he invited one more person to come onboard and join them, but the captain wasn't having it. Because the yacht wasn't chartered for fourteen people and they would have to charge him extra for the dinner. My aquaintance was shocked because the table was filled with food and drinks. But the captain was very strict and didn't allow the guest tocome aboard.

He has chartered the yacht for three weeks at €93.000,- a week.

Is it just me and my aquaintance that find this captain a bit of a drama queen?

There was so much food on the table that it would have been impossible to eat it all. One more person wouldn't have made any difference.
    And that with such a high charter rate............
  2. ombreetsoleil

A picture of this Proteksan from 1983

Attached Files:

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Was it the Captain/Owner/Manager I can understand it...
  4. ombreetsoleil

It was an American Captain.

I can understand that food and drinks cost money, but one more person in three weeks time? While every night they had so many leftovers.

He is enjoying his stay, but it was something he wont forget and was shocked that he was spending such a big amount of money and one beer and a salad was to much for the captain.
  5. ombreetsoleil

It was only one dinner for one person extra in three weeks time.......
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Sounds like someone forgot to read the fine print.
  7. ombreetsoleil

Apparantly................
    To be honest I dont understand why he chose "Costa Magna" for that charter price range.

I haven't been onboard, but when I look at here pictures on the web she seems a bit old, also her interior seems a bit outdated.
  8. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Well, that cuts it for me...........Taking my next 93,000 Euros down the dock.:D
  9. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Hi Ombreet,

If you charter a larger luxury yacht, you charter the whole yacht and you can bring as many guest as the yacht has beds / cabins and the boat is cleared for. Expences like food are normally not included in the charter rate. I have never heard of all inclusive yacht charter. If this yacht is cleared for 12 guests, as it is normal for non SOLAS yachts, you can have a dinner or a party with more guests in harbour or at the mooring but the captain can not allow more guests, when going to sea. The ships papers will tell the max allowable number of persons on board and during cruise but for non SOLAS, 12 guests is max. Because its crew, crew does not count, but they count for max. persons on board (rescue equipment and buoyancy). Charter per number of persons or charter per bed or cabin is not normal. This is only done with sailboats or larger Cats (sunreef), where you can charter by cabin or even bed. But then you can not tell the skipper where to go, its more of a cruise.

So, either your friend has not given you all the facts or he did not read the charter contract closely enough. Plus the charter rate sounds pretty high for this old and outdated lady, bearing in mind the extra costs and expences which will come on top after 3 weeks of charter.

If the captain was in error, your friend may cut down on tips (for the captain) after the cruise as a little revenge :D. Anything else is concidered mutiny and only feeds the lawyers.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

As you have only heard your acquaintances side of the story there could well be more to this than meets the eye.

Normal chartering on Western Med Terms means the guests pay for everything on top of the base price.

Vessels have a maximum number of people they can charter for , maybe this extra one was the straw that broke the camels back.

Be careful posting stories when you don't have all the facts in a public forum. These things have been known to bite people.
  11. ombreetsoleil

It's true I only heard one side of the story.

I was just wondering if people have heard more of these kind of experiences in general.

I think next time he will check his contract a little better to prevent these kind of misunderstandings.

But I still find it a high charter rate.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Weekly charters are almost always plus expenses so the food costs are irrelevant. But even on an all inclusive rate that would be incredible petty.

It sounds more like a number of pax aboard issue and there may be details you don't know about. Could be local or flag regulations or even an insurance limit.
  13. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Take the time to GOOGLE the boat and you will discover the rate mentioned is mid-range (90,000 - 96,000 EUR pw).

She may be an old and outdated lady; but lists the last refit year as 2013.
  14. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Too Many People

I would guess that HTMN has it about right. There is a maximum number of charter guests allowed, and it is clearly written into the contract. This number is 12, and it is mandated internationally. In recent years brokers have been trying to push this limit and have come up with the term "supernumerary", which they are applying to a nanny or personal assistant- thus allowing them to have a 13th non-crew member aboard.
    So perhaps your friend was already pushing the limit, and tried to push it one step too far.
    As with most problems in life, I would guess that there is a communication issue with the Captain and your Bud. Perhaps even a language barrier.
  15. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

But as HTMN says, the max number of guests apply when going to sea or overnight stays. I have never seen a charter yacht moored or at port you couldn't visit for a while or for dinner because of that maximum. Never ever, and I have been to a few.
  16. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

So, your friend visits an eatery that offers buffet (because the table was filled with food and drinks).

Enjoys a meal and exits the establishment.

Does he consider the Manager a drama queen for stopping him outside the eatery;
    because he would have to charge him for the dinner?
  17. ombreetsoleil

When you put it like that then it sounds logical, but when your paying €93.000,- a week then one beer and a salad is to much to ask?

Even knowing that half of the food is being thrown away in the dustbin.
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That is a ridiculous comparison.... Again on term charter the charterers pays for the food and drinks, not the boat.

And even on all inclusive charters, I would never think about stopping guests from inviting friends. Happens quite often actually... We are anchored out on an all inclusive day charter and friends of the charterers stop by on their own boat and come aboard. Am I going to tell them... "You are paying thousands of dollars for a few hours on the boat but Your friends can't eat or can't grab a beer in the cooler"?

Anybody who thinks this way doesn't belong in the charter business, they should apply for a union job with their governemnt.
  19. ombreetsoleil

Thanks finally someone who understands hahah.
    When can I charter your yacht?
  20. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

The example was an attempt to light the bulb. It served its purpose.

Ken alludes to the most likely reason for the Captain's refusal.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/b...-magna-proteksan-yacht-1983-a.html#post177846