Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn

Contracted Covid at FLIBS; it's Too Soon for Boat Shows

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by jkp1, Nov 4, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkp1

jkp1 New Member

This is a cautionary note to those Boat Show junkies aching to see what's new.

Last Wednesday, my son and I went to day 1 of FLIBS. It was lightly attended and I have pictures of empty booths.

We wore masks, only removing them on the booze barge.

Sunday we to started have symptoms of a cold. Today we took rapid COVID tests and all of us (including my wife who was not there) came up positive.

Bottom line, it is simply not possible to properly social distance at a Boat show.
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Thanks for a sanity check, which should be a given by now, but obviously not to everyone.
    All the best for a prompt and full recover to you and your family.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

So sorry to hear your problem and agree, although your Covid may not have come from the show. However, if it didn't, then you were there to possibly infect others. I drove by on the water and saw overhead views and talked to others. The effort to protect everyone was sadly inadequate and not at all as advertised. Booze barges and many gatherings there as well as off the premises were ripe with opportunity for spread. Also, while the majority did wear masks, there were enough who didn't to make it dangerous and no one doing anything to force compliance. It turned from solid plans to careless execution. We'll see the real results in terms of cases in a few days.

You said "We wore masks, only removing them on the booze barge." Well, that's the same as not wearing masks. You removed them when around the most crowded and confined group of people. Not jumping on you as you have the disease now and my hopes and thoughts go with you. But pointing out for everyone, you can't mostly comply, you can't be diligent except when you go here or there. Florida is getting hit with a huge wave and FLIBS will only be a small part of it. There have been a lot of gatherings recently from weddings to parties to political rallies. We have strict workforce rules, but unfortunately, we've also had to put into place rules on activities outside the workplace. If our employees feel they must go to a large gathering, then they understand it's appropriate to take a vacation after to quarantine. We have no one on premises, employees or customers without masks, questions, temperature checks and I wish I'd bought a sanitizer manufacturer before Covid 19 hit.

Then we might all do our best and still it's possible we get it.

I feel sad for you and your family and hope you have mild cases. However, I also think of those you had contact with on the trip both ways and now back home. Best of luck to you and thanks so much for pointing out the danger as a lesson learned. I highly doubt we'll here from most who catch it as a result of the show or who brought it to the show. I certainly saw enough from a distance and online to scare me to death.

As to the success of the show, we're getting the typical story from sales persons saying they had a good show, but the traffic and the lack of builders showing would tend to bring that into question. I'm hearing of a few CC's sold and just a random boat otherwise. Also, hearing from one builder of a sold boat but knowing that builder talks about six sales for every one that actually closes.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Now who could have foreseen this? The politics is done now. The only thing that matters now is saving lives, and saving people from getting sick. We have a bad winter ahead of us. We need to be careful whether that's with boats, bars, family gatherings, whatever.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

jkp1

I can't tell you how refreshing I find it for someone to come here and admit they were wrong. Perhaps that will help others of us stay firm in avoiding future events.
  6. jkp1

jkp1 New Member

OP here. Yes, we should have known better even though we were assured safety protocols were in place. Its possible we picked up COVID somewhere other than FLIBS but I doubt it. We've been fairly careful since it all began. The good news is our symptoms are mild. Like a bad cold with low grade fever, cough and fatigue. It should pass in 10 days.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.