Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander

Contemplating this boat and have some questions

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by motoryachtlover, Nov 15, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Admin edit: Link removed.

Always had a thing for Hatteras motor yachts, yet never owned one. I have not made the decision yet but am getting closer. I currently have a 54 Viking SY that I have owned since 07. I have done a lot of upgrading but would like a touch more speed and the ability to carry a larger tender.

The earlier versions came with C18s and V drives. Are V drives to be avoided? Access to the “stuffing box” is under the engine. The later ones came with straight drives. Why did they change that?

The access to the engine room is through a hatch on the aft deck and a transom door. Obviously the transom door is out for engine room checks while underway. Do you all find a hatch and a ladder on the aft deck a poor arrangement for underway engine room checks? I don’t prefer it but maybe it is something I get used to.

I keep seeing in the different listings that they have aluminum fuel tanks. I don’t associate Hatteras with aluminum fuel tanks. If that is so is that a major drawback?

Do you all have any thoughts about carrying a 1000 lbs of dinghy on a hydraulic swim platform? Do you see it adversely affecting the boat’s performance. I will have to get on one to measure and see if I can get a 13’ tender on the hardtop aft of the helm. What I really like is the tender on the bow. But not going to happen on this model.

Lastly does anyone know how this boat performs at sea?

Supposedly the 64 Hatteras was a very good sea boat. I didn’t want to go 10’ bigger than what I have now but I suppose that is a fall back position.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

MYL, that's the first time anyone has posted a link to that listing site and I should have blocked it long ago. My apologies.

The parent company is a print media conglomerate that has used our discussions to further their publishing exploits for at least 15 years. They have never once given credit to YF as a source or inspiration. I built a listing system for them, then they backed out and resuscitated an existing platform to compete with us.

The domain is being blocked along with any links to their publications.
  3. motoryachtlover

Is it acceptable to use a yachtworld or boattrader listing? No apologies necessary.

The boat is a 2009 60’ Hatteras motor yacht.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Yes
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The hull was also slightly redesigned in 2012 along with the interior and the going to straight shafts. I've run lots of the 60' MY's and they're very good sea boats albeit a little wet. I currently manage a very late model 60' MY. Biggest tender your going to fit is a 11' AB jet on the FB deck more or less. On the later models the swim platform for the dinghy has many advantages such as being able to swim on/off of it when the tender isn't on. Easy to launch the tender with a single person, and it's a very strong swim platform. The V-drives are for weight distribution on the earlier models since the dinghy being on the FB and no swim platform COG needed to be further aft. Yes it has a single aluminum tank across the front of the engine room and it's 1200 gallons giving the boat a ton of range. I wouldn't worry about the tank. Personally I'd go with the 2012 or newer with the exterior FB staircase and redesigned interior salon etc. It IS the 64' hull that was shortened.
  6. motoryachtlover

Capt J thanks for your feedback. I was hoping you would chime in. I would like your and others thoughts on whether I could put a hydraulic swim platform on the stern of a pre 2012 Hatteras 60 and then put on a 1000 lbs of dinghy. Would there be adverse affects. The boat would make annual trips to the Bahamas with all of the conditions that can arise. Also is an honest 25 knot cruise boat. By honest I mean full fuel, full water, dinghy and such. Thanks again for the forums time and thoughts.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know. I don't remember running a pre 2012. I've run lots of newer ones. They tend to run 24-25 knots full fuel, dinghy etc. etc. There should be no reason why you can't put a hydraulic swim platform on one. They're a good sea boat for their size, albeit can be a little wet. I think the newer ones run a little bow high with the 2 seakeepers in the stern, so yours should run fine with the motors a little further forward.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If I had a choice I would prefer having the tender up on the top deck than on a platform. I ve done both extensively and if there is any surge coming in, getting a tender on the platform is lot more challenging than hooking it up to the davit. Yes there will be 3 to 4 seconds where the swell may result in increased stress on the davit and cable but it s a lot easier than keeping the davit in place on the platform.

underway when things get a little rough with following seas, like coming back across the stream from the Bahamas, I feel better with the tender up top

Ps. We launched and retrieve the tender 100/150 of time a year.
  9. motoryachtlover

Thanks Pascal. The tender up top or on the bow (not an option on this model) is my preference as well. Will have to explore whether putting the cover on the dinghy when underway if on the platform would keep the big water out of the dinghy and draining back into the ocean. One of my goals with this boat was to have atleast a 13’ dinghy.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have been on a couple of 60s. Not running, just dock side service.
    I do not have any gripes about the boat. Owners are another issue.

This will require two people working to dock.
    Even with a hand held controller. Just to much sail area.

Fancy 6 blade wheel$. Some prop pocket area, still don't even think about going shallow.

You want records and proof of all service or it did not happen.
    Your up over $1M and this should be SOP.
    Check the intercooler history.
    Don't worry about the V drives.

I don't see any details on the single gen-set.
    I thought they were dual genies in these rigs.
    I can guess high hours here if original gen-set.
  11. motoryachtlover

Ralph thanks for reply. I wondered about the props. So it sounds like this boat has the deep reduction transmissions and the expensive 6 bladed props just like the 64. The 64 might have had 7 blades can’t remember but talked to an owner of a 64 who lost one when the shaft broke at the taper and one prop was 37,000 a couple of years ago. I think it was a Rolla. Some have duel genies some don’t.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

On a 60' I'd much rather have it on the swim platform. It helps considerably with stability and also opens up the aft FB area. I'm pretty sure the props are michigan federals on the 60'. Still not cheap though to replace.