Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Mulder

Considering larger boat with 12v92's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by g collis, Sep 22, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. g collis

g collis Member

Currently own a 55' Hatt SF with 12v71's. Love em!! Most problems have been a result of my learning curve. At age 63 I have decided to marry again and she loves living on the boat. But we both agree a bit larger would be nice. Considering two 65' Hatt convertibles. One has fresh rebuilds on her 12v92's and the other has 1200 original hours on the same motors. I'm leaning towards the originals because I know what parts are in them. Soliciting thoughts from this crowd.

thanks
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

All things being equal I would lean the same way. Unless I knew and approved of who did the overhaul and even then you don't know what you've got for sure until maybe 100 hours.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends. If someone reputable did the rebuilds they should be good to go. Every Sportfish I've run with the exception of 1 of them, needed rebuilds on the 12v92's every 1000 hours. One 58' Striker I ran, had them major overhauled 6 times. Another 1994 54' Hatteras had them rebuilt twice in 1980 hours due to catastrophic failures. The only SF they lasted in was a 1987 63' Ocean and the origional set went 5500 hours before majors. I'm not a 12v92 fan. I just ran a 2002 65' Hatteras SF enclosed bridge repo, it had 3400 hours on CAT 3412's, it needed paint, a generator and this' and that's but the interior was very clean and the boat cruised 28 knots and sold for $375k with a tuna tower, davit and newer whaler on the boat.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Overhauled? Get all the details of what was R&R'd, what else was done and of course by whom- otherwise it didn't happen. 1000 hours is very few- meaning the boat sat and did nothing for quite some time. That can be bad as well. The last'92's were installed in the '90's .... until you (meaning "we") have more info a good decision regarding which engines are "better" cannot be made IMHO.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's true 1200 hours on 20 year old motors is only 60 hours a year.....or some years of just sitting, it can be very bad also. I would find out who rebuilt the 12v92's in the other boat.
  6. wannapost50

wannapost50 New Member

I have a 54 Bertram with 1080 HP 1292's, they had 2190 hours on them when I bought the boat in May. We have put about 150 hours on the boat this summer fishing and cruising with zero mechanical issues (knock on wood!). My port engine smokes on start up but clears immediately when in gear, other than that they run incredibly smooth. They don't use or leak oil which is very un-Detroit like in my experience. Fuel efficiency is a completely different matter. My plan is to run the boat south to Cabo and spend a season or two down there, prior to that I'm going to have both motors majored.
  7. g collis

g collis Member

We are driving down in the morning "Saturday" to see the boat with 1200 hours on her. I know she has had light use and the owner has all the maintenance records. So I'll see what he says. The broker said they were original hours. BUT, I'll see what the owner says. She is a 2 owner boat. I'll let you know what I find.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

On either set of 92's make sure the coolant (G93) or water additive (novakool) has been changed every 2 years or 3 years at the very very most. It's crucial on Detroits.
  9. g collis

g collis Member

We drove down a took a look today. Very nice boat and the engine hours are not original. Rather since they were majored. No smoke on start, ZF gears very clean engine room. Boat is very clean and well cared for as well, has not had the tar beat out of her. Some older electronics, but it all works. So now we are discussing our options. Don't want to be a two boat owner.
  10. g collis

g collis Member

Oh, forgot to add that we decided to not look at the boat with the overhauled motors. Word on the street was that she was REAL rough and has been sitting for a very long time.
  11. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If they did not smoke on start they have block heaters and they are on, or they were started and run before you arrived. Either way you should see them start when they are cold for a little better idea of the condition.
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

Not too many people do. Which is why, to accomplish that you really need to sell your current boat before you pick out your next one. Either that, or you could count on having extraordinarily good luck with your timing. Like the one in a million kind of good luck.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run some sets of 12v92's that didn't smoke on cold startup. But it's boats that were used, used often and run at cruise often.......a week later could start them up and wouldn't smoke.......but it's more of a rarity. I would wait till your boat sells before buying the next. ALSO, I would buy a pill bottle of the Detroit Diesel coolant test strips and test the coolant in each 92 boat you're looking at.....it's a paper stick you just open the expansion tank cap, get it wet with coolant and a minute later it will tell you the concentration.
  14. g collis

g collis Member

The test strips is a great idea and I'll get some this week. I can afford to have two boats, just don't want to. As for the cold start and smoke. Pretty sure he had run them before I got there. I asked about the block heaters and he didn't know if she had them. Where are they located on a 12v92? I'm sure they are there, just don't know where. Very clean engine spaces. Hadn't been all painted up over the years. Motors weren't smeared down by tons of old paint. Little if any rust as well.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Usually mid ships in the block about halfway up from the oil pan to the heads. But, just put your hand on the engines and look at the coolant gauge before the engine is fired up should tell you whether it was just run or has block heaters on. 12v92's usually take a full day to cool off to ambient temperature if they've been run.
  16. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

You should have a breaker box somewhere in the ER which allows you to shut off each engines heater. Also there should be a breaker at the main panel which is labeled block heaters. The heater is similar to a water heater element since it heats the coolant, and on my 16-92's it was located on the right back (when viewed from the rear) about 2/3 forward and just below the heads. There is a small box which had leads to the element; it turns the element off and on dependent on temp.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pick up a cheap IR temp gun.
    On blocks that long and involved, your going to need one in your future.
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

My 12v92's have the heaters toward the front of the motors. both heaters are inboard side just above the stringer rails. They are about the size of a soup can with a rounded top.

I'm not understanding the discussion about smoke at cold start? The block heaters are there for this very reason. I turn mine on 24 hrs. ahead and I get virtually no smoke. If I start them cold in the summer I get smoke for 10 seconds or so. If I start them cold in winter it will clear the marina of all living creatures :).
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

When inspecting a boat or for survey and seatrial you want the engines cold or ambient temperature. The amount of smoke and color of smoke will give you an indication of what condition the motors are in by how much they smoke and for how long after startup. If it smokes blue and then clears in a minute it's usually valve guides, if it smokes for 10 minutes or so and it's blue or grey, more like piston rings but could be injectors too if it's grey, if it smokes very little then the engine is very healthy. Also can tell by the sheen the motor is putting on the water with a cold start. Granted, DDEC's and other computer controlled engines usually smoke very little on cold start up unless something is seriously wrong.
    LDrossman likes this.
  20. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

You can start your engines in the Alaska winter with no block heaters? Wow.
    Captain J in correct in his assessment of cold start ups and smoke.
    BTW I meant to say "right bank" post of the heater location- not "right back".