Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder

considering an Ocean Alexander

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by oh so fine, Mar 10, 2009.

1. oh so fine

oh so fine New Member

I am considering a 1989 Ocean Alexander 50' and have a few questions....
    I have a nice 1978 Tolly and it has been great but it has gas engines. The ocean I am considering has twin Detroit Diesels 400 HP Model 6V53's. Naturally I will have the boat surveyed by a reputable Mechanic but if anyone has any negative or positive things I should know that would be great.

Thanks
  2. fogcutter50

fogcutter50 New Member

Go For It I Did!

:) I bought my second OA last August in Ga. a 2001 OA 54 pilothouse which is just a 52 with the euro transom. The first one I bought was the 42 Classico which was always on the great lakes. I was always impressed with the fit in finish until I bought one, then I was overwhemed with how they put their boats together. I have had over thirty boat in my 50 years of boating and have had Hatteras and some other fine vessels but the OA is the best! (so far) I looked for one of the 50ft. pilothouse boats when I was looking but on the East Coast there are not a lot on the market. They come up on the West Coast and I was very interested in one down in Southern Calif. but getting it to the mid west was an issue. They are GREAT vessels and have a great deal of comfort and style. Good Hunting!
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

They seem decent enough boats, I haven't done any major work on them, but while doing minor stuff, they seemed well enough built if not a bit heavy. 6-53s at 400hp must be turbos I'm guessing. Noisy suckers from my experience and have all the typical draw backs and benefits of the 2 stroke Jimmies.
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I know several OA owners, and we looked at their pilot house / trawler a while back. They are indeed fine boats. Ed Monk left nothing to chance and it well respected in the design arena. We spend time on our friends (50's and 60's OA's PH) and always enjoy it.

I've never heard an owner say anything bad about them, which is or can be a rarity these days.

We ended up deciding on a different boat simple based on personal desires and requirements of use, but I would not hesitate for a minute with an OA that saw a clean survey. They are all around very well built boats and very well priced. You really get a lot of 'bang for your buck'

Good luck in your search.