Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights

Companies now putting it to their workers

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by NYCAP123, Feb 7, 2011.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was just reading that U.S. factories are buzzing with work, but they are not hiring. They figure that since their workers accepted cuts in salary and personnel and worked their behinds off to get the jobs done so the companies could be saved, why not push them further and increase profits. So much for returning loyalty. It may be time for unions to push back again. I heard about some projects in the pipeline for Burger. Have they hired back any of those they laid off?
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That's a proven strategy, Boeing built bedroom furniture and speedboats to stay alive after the First World War.
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Simple business math, your profit margin is a % of gross revenues, but your losses are 100% of expenses in excess of revenue. If you make 10% and your revenues are 1000 a day, but you lose 500 a day for 30 days before turning a profit again, that's 150 days of profit spent paying off your losses. Just because you're showing a profit on paper doesn't mean you're out of the woods, or you have the money to add staff (or that adding staff would be advisable since business could turn down yet again).
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That same simple business math runs for the laid off employees as well, except that they are still losing their homes. Simple rule of business: If you can get the job done with fewer people you make more money. Too bad if the workers can't afford to support their families. Maybe it's time now for the jobs not to get done.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

It sure is popular to be anti business these days. I guess the tone has been set with that kind of talk coming from the White House. Do we need to be reminded that profits are the reason that capital is invested in business in the first place? It is the essence of job creation. (not the government as some would have you believe) Oh, and those sinister profits? That's where most of the "boat buying" money comes from.
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Bring back slavery and cotton will be king again and plantation house sales will go through the roof!

What's good for business isn't necessarily good for everything else. Being against screwed up economic policies doesn't equate to being "anti-business." That is a bit of anti worker, anti environment, anti social jingoism that only benefits a very tiny portion of the population.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/
    You might have missed where fewer workers have been doing more work for less money than was originally agreed to. They took the hit so the companies could survive. What logic carries that, when the company is back up to the original production (sales) and more, they shouldn't be providing at least the number of jobs there were before the economy tanked.
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

To interject slavery into this debate is not only ludoucris, it also demonstrates a complete lack of factual content. My comments were in response to caps assertion that jobs should somehow come before business. They do not. I don't consider it "screwed up economic policies" for a company to only have the number of employees that they actually have work for.
  9. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Ed, it's painfully apparent that you are staunchly anti-management, but I would argue it's better to keep some employed than none employed. The alternative you present is exactly the reason you drive a Hyundai - witness the 1970s/1980s domestic auto industry. Eff the company, eff the product... you only end up effing yourself harder than anyone else ever could. It's self defeating, no matter how feel-good it might seem at the shallowest level.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Not anti-management; pro-fairness.
  11. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Burger lay offs

NY Cap's philosophy ?? .. from every man according to his ability ..to every man according to his needs...would seem very fair and perhaps the POTUS believes it also.???
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"Greed is good" was the philosophy from the mid-90's to present. Before that it was "I am my brother's keeper". I'm old fashioned. I feel that, if I'm doing well, I should spread my good fortune. For the past few years workers were doing the job of 2,3 or 10 people for the survival of their employers and were thankful for the opportunity. The companies are doing well now even though they may not yet have made up their losses, but who has. It's time to put people back to work.
    The prime example of what is going on is the banks. They took the stimulus money, and instead of lending it they invested it, bought real estate, paid themselves bonuses, raised fees and told everyone else to suck it up. That's not the person I want to be.
  13. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Burger lay offs

Ahhhhhhh, good old Marxist philosophy alive and well in NY City...seems for some history does repeat itself...
  14. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

"It is not the employer who pays the wages. He only handles the money. It is the product that pays the wages." ~Henry Ford, 1922, also sometimes quoted as "It is the customer that pays the wages"
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yes it does, and that bears remembering considering what happened there. "He's not heavy. He's my brother."
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yes it is, and they are. It's just getting short-stopped.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41415001/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/
  17. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Not mentioned in the MSNBC article is the current regime's anti-business stance, uncertainty in regulatory issues, the health care debacle--businesses abhor such uncertainties and of course will limit hiring to only just what they need.
    Obama in today's WSJ exhorting businesses to "stop hoarding money and start hiring" ...as if by hiring people that are not needed, that there would somehow be more demand.

But, then, the CIC nor ANY of his staff (Pre-Imelt et.al. in the past few weeks) have EVER had a real job.

Recall Jerry Ford and his [WIN] 'Whip Inflation Now' buttons. Another moron treating you and I like morons. I am an equal opportunity Dem/Republican basher, Ed.

Little Susie's lemonade stand business could teach these guys a few things.

Rant complete.
  18. RER

RER Senior Member

I read the article you linked and I'm not sure of your point. Productivity is bad? The company improved productivity and paid higher wages to it's workers as a result.

Maybe companies have been overly cautious of expanding payrolls due to an anti-business administration with an appetite for pushing additional costs on employers. It's difficult to run a business when you don't know what new government mandate is around the next corner. Hopefully the mid term elections put the brakes on that.

The fact is the POTUS has been espousing anti business rhetoric for two years. From his criticism of Las Vegas conventions to his lame attempt at reconciliation with the Chamber of Commerce a few days ago where he inexplicably claimed that investing in eduction would create jobs. Ask the unemployed college grads in Egypt about that. Business gets nervous when the guy at the top doesn't have a clue.
  19. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

I was going to keep quiet on this but I need to put in my 2 cents. I attended a Small Business Conference in Miami last week sponsored by NAVSEA. The way they presented, it looked like they were seeking small businesses to be the avenue of the future for new products for the maritime arm of the government. The truth is that there is so much red tape involved that it makes it extremely difficult to get in. It almost seemed like a dog and pony show. I have e-mailed a couple of the presenters. I guess the truth will come out if I get responses from them. By the way, where are all the tax benefits promised to increase small business that is talked about so much by this administration? I haven't seen it. If someone has, please let me know.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Maybe the employees are just doing the amount of work they are supposed to do? If a company needed to hire people in order to get things done or produced they would hire people. When you have been going backwards as a company for 2 years, even when things turn around, it takes a long thing to get solvent again.