Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Collapsable Home Built Trimaran

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by beaul, Aug 31, 2009.

1. beaul

beaul New Member

I have designed an built a 39 ft Aluminium Trimaran which we live aboard in Brisbane Australia.
    It is designed to fit inside a 40 ft Shipping container so we can ship it anywhere we wish to cruise.
    It has a very fine entry bow section/flat bottom and does not plane or produce a bow wave. (as per the current generation of trimaran ferries)
    Currently it is powered by 2X 30 hp Honda outboards for a top speed of 10 knots but these are being replaced by 2 X90 hp outboards for a 20 knot speed.
    It is also fitted with a Oceanic Lateen sail for reaching and downwind sailing.
    Draft is 9 inches.
    I have designed it as a live aboard for tropical areas and we have a fridge and freezer, 9,000 btu air conditioner, and desalinator.

The cost of construction was much cheaper than a 39 ft Catamaran as I am only fitting out one hull not two hulls and a bridgedeck. It only has accomodation for three (one double and a single) but we dont need the four double beds you generally have to have with a catamaran.
    The outriggers fold in for use in a Monohull mooring or the Canals of Europe.

I had it built by a professional multihull ferry building company in Brisbane but I fitted it out myself.

Attached Files:

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Interesting beaul, and welcome aboard.
    Have you had it out in any big seas?
    How long have you had it?
  3. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

For those that might be interested in the background of Beaul's tri vessel, and some construction photos, he started THIS SUBJECT THREAD a few years ago. I referenced this discussion as I doubt we will see this material get duplicated here.

Your use of the word 'wedge' caught my attention. Have a look at another wedge shaped hull design that I discuss here:

Sea Knife

YachtForums.Com - View Single Post - Trimarans and the BladeRunner...

and look at the two other postings #46, #48