Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Cockpit refrigeration?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by praetorian47, Aug 27, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

my ‘88 Ocean 55SS has a freezer on the cockpit next to the engine room. Originally for fish, but now for beer, and what a job it does! I can hold well over 100 cans and they are ice cold. The first issue is insulation, I get a lot of moisture and need to thaw it out and clean it a few times a year. Not a dealbreaker, but annoying. The real issue is power draw and noise. It’s got coils running around the box and a compressor below. It runs off the inverter when off the dock, but it’s noisy when I’d like quiet.

I figured this was just the way it was but an ac guy was over last week working on a air con issue and told me these are loud and power hungry and I could put a large cold plate covering 3 sides of the box and it would work just as well but quiet and less energy.

Any idea or advice?
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Besides asking him for a quote to do it.
    That technology has been around for a while
  3. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

A few comments, agree that it is a power hog, and that there is no frost free mode but you may want to reduce the temp to prevent freezing and the condensation should drain to the bilge. I have a Cruiseair unit in my boat and it is not noisy, I can barely hear it running when engines and genset are off. Perhaps the fan is rubbing against something. If you do decide to upgrade, please let me have first dibs on your old compressor unit.
  4. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

The chiller plates are nice, but the setup is expensive. I was quoted around $7k to do my boxes. I can live with the AC noise...
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Plus the stuff against the plates freezes and the stuff in the middle is half cold when you stuff them with your 100 bottles of beer. Insulate the lid with a nice thick but very soft gasket and should help with condensation.
  6. praetorian47

Thats what I was afraid of. I tried a gasket already and it made the condensation much worse. I think better insulation on top might help, and then the gasket may work.

I can't argue the performance of the existing unit. Beer is just perfect! Barely liquid, very refreshing on a hot day ')
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Can you explain where the condensation is again in or outside the box?
    Exposed coils around the in or out side of the box?
    Has the rubber compressor mounts faded away?
    Tried a gasket and condensation worse?
  8. praetorian47

Condensation is inside the box, there are no exposed coils. They are wrapped around the box interior.

Could the issue be poor insulation on the top of the box?
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If it's wet when you open it, well yes.

Wish we had some pictures of everything.
  10. praetorian47

I’ll take pictures tomorrow and post them, thanks!