Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Circum Navigator

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Aussie Wombat, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Aussie Wombat

Aussie Wombat New Member

Hi All. I would dearly love some advise on a second hand yatch to travel everywhere (in no hurry) with my wife. Will live on yatch for 2 plus years at a time. I am a real beginner. Have come up with the following. Large as budget allows - Sailable by 2 people - Has Tender - only two berth - Toilet and shower - Hot water service - All equipment - Auto pilot etc -Radar etc - Life boat - Good rigging - Large battery capacity – solar and wind recharging - Insurable
    Internal Helm (bad weather - I am a whimp)– or at least undercover. oh and my wife wants a tall dark handsome African American made as a deck hand. That aint going to happen).
    We are middle aged. Not sure about budget. It will dpend on the selling of our house or our business (or both!!)
    We live in Australia
  2. Aussie Wombat

Aussie Wombat New Member

One more thing

One thing I forgot. Does anyone know of any good web sites or books that would help us plan for our journey around the world?

Cheers
  3. nilo

nilo Senior Member

4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Aussie Wombat,
    For a world cruiser on your budget you'd definitly be looking at a sailboat. With space & creature comforts being high on your prioity list I say look toward cats. You'll find lots of good info on living aboard and/or the dream if you type Livaboard into the SEARCH feature here. You also might want to surf some of the sailing and sailboat sites on the web. $300K in a used motoryacht will get you more of a coastal cruiser under 50'; more of a weekender or maybe a coastal livaboard. Good luck.
  5. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Thanks for the website Nilo, I saw these books advertised separately but never as the complete sets presented.

Aussie, in regards to the boat in question, you could look at Hallberg-Rassy sailboats of Sweden. They're conservatively designed sailboats (by G.Frers) for blue-water cruising. I think a sailboat will have the ability to take you around the world safely. A catamaran will be more comfortable than a monohull to live aboard (they're very spacious), so research them as well.

You might also get a good value from a "Bavaria 50 Vision" also. Its a more robust model than the cruiser Bavaria models. Not the best looking sailboat, but has good blue water capability. Even the 47 Cruiser has CE Category A for 10 people. The Bavaria 55 Cruiser is also a redesign from Farr.

www dot bavaria-yachtbau dot com

www dot hallberg-rassy dot com

You could find the dealer info for Australia for both brands. Regards,

Vivariva
  6. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

One of my clients is at the moment on circumnavigation and mybe the website is useful in case he plans his trip in every detail.
    http://www.merrymaid.sy/circum.php

Just arrvived in Bora Bora

He plans it for a 6 years trip and started in Mallorca where he will be back in 2014. The ship always get refits throughout the trip.

I think the best planned trip and website I have ever seen for a round the world trip. Have fun.

PS: Sorry no Crew needed at the moment. :mad: