Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

Chris Craft Catalina 381 stuffing box

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by ZXJockey, Jan 29, 2021.

1. ZXJockey

ZXJockey New Member

Greetings, long time lurker, but now it's time to post!

I've picked up a 1981 Catalina 381. I've spent some time already getting to know everything, but a few things escape me. The port side stuffing box is somewhat easily accessible below the aft cabin locker, but the starboard stuffing box doesn't seem to have had access figured in for it, or a previous owner planked over it. Has anyone here worked their starboard stuffing box, and how did you reach it? Was there originally a hatch?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Rudder posts are often in very cramped quarters but there has to be access. Sure there could be a plank over the access especially if it's inside a cabinet, but it shouldn't be secured. Or it could be accessed below the bunk or a hatch in the floor (which could be covered by carpet).
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

There has to be an opening. Could be under a bed, rug, closet..etc. Chris-Craft put an access opening some where. It would be an obvious patch job if a pervious owner covered it up. Keep looking. Take a rough measurement of the port side location and measure the starboard side of the boat and look for the opening/patch job.

Then again C-C may have figured you can get to that one from the bilge. Even though it may be a tight squeeze..... so yes there may be no hatch opening.