Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Chris Craft 480 Catalina

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Jokerkai, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Jokerkai

Jokerkai New Member

Hello first time posting. I'm looking for a mid sized boat / liveaboard to spend time doing the Florida keys and / or Bahamas. My wife and I came across a 1989 CC Catalina and I don't know much about them. I like the look but would like some input on how it can handle the seas. If this isn't the boat would love any suggestions. We play to start with about 2 months and decide if this is a good boat for longer. We have two young boys we'd be traveling with too. Budget is $120-$150k. Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What motors? I note that they've come equipped with both diesel and gas. I'd stay far away from the gas. IMHO this was not a good era for CC. Look for soft spots on deck, blistering of the hull, leaks around windows, stanchions and rub rails.. I consider this a coastal cruiser, protected waters.
  3. Jokerkai

Jokerkai New Member

Thank you so much for the information. Exactly what I was looking for. They are the 375 Cats 3208's. 2300 hours. I'm well before the survey time so will make sure to look at those items. Also good to know about the coastal cruiser info since I'm traveling with my wife and two little kids with not a ton of boating experience or days at sea. I may need to up my budget a bit and expand my search but I liked the look and started there.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nothing wrong with those motors or hours.
  5. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Which "newport" are you operating from? Big difference in boating among the first three that come to mind.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good point, but it looks like his plans are to run out of So. Fl.
  7. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Whoops!
    Thanks, I glossed over that when I checked the profile :oops:
  8. Jokerkai

Jokerkai New Member

Thank you both! Yes originally I lived in Newport Beach CA but now living in Texas. The plan would be leave the Galveston area with the boat travel to South Florida and then to the Bahamas. Spend some time cruising the Bahamas then end up in eastern Florida.

My intention was to buy a hull that was rugged enough if the sea was rough but be smart traveling only coastal areas in good weather. If a 1989 isn’t the best year I may keep looking. Nothing wrong with a Carver but did not just want to buy one with a CC name

there is a 1987 480 for sale in Michigan but much more expensive however totally redone.

The soft goods on the 1989 and shape appear very nice on the one for sale in Texas I thought it was a good fit

the aft cabin design appealed to me.

you’ve both been nice to speak with and given me good questions to ask if I move forward on a survey.

Any other input is appreciated
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

In your case I recommend keeping your search within the region where you want to do your boating.

While Great Lakes boats tend to be well kept, in fresh water, stored inside during winter, etc, buying a 50' boat in Michigan is just not practical if you want to use it in south Florida and the Bahamas.

Buying a million dollar 50' boat somewhere and moving it where you want to use it may be an insignificant addition to the purchase price. Moving a $120K boat from Michigan to south Florida isn't.

That goes for Texas too. Galveston to Ft Lauderdale is no family picnic run. There's nothing but boats in south Florida. That's where you should be shopping.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  10. Jokerkai

Jokerkai New Member

Thanks everyone. I think I might be pushing a purchase in Texas because we now live there....but what you say makes sense. I don't want to ruin the Bahamas experience with the family early. I'm going to look around in South Florida now and will run a couple other ideas past you I'm sure.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The right boat is the one that suits your purpose. It sounds like most of your cruising is going to be coastwise and that you'll be on a relaxed schedule. So you can pick your weather. Although this is not the best era for CC IMHO any 31 y.o. boat still running and in good condition may be a proven commodity. So don't discount it too fast. Especially if it's close by it's probably worth at least checking out.
    When you spend hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars on a toy you search far and wide. That's expensive. When you buy one for $10K you stick close to home. At the size, type and price point your looking I'd start close to home and expand if necessary. It also lets you get used to your new boat before getting involved in a long transport.
  12. IDrankWhat?

IDrankWhat? New Member

Did you ever buy the boat? Did you choose another?
  13. Jokerkai

Jokerkai New Member

We took a pass nothing wrong with it we just decided to wait one more year. I have a 3 year old we just now are getting swimming so next year we will feel more comfortable