Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Delta

Chris Craft 22, Cutlass, Dory inboard ?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by Jackman, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

I have a Chris Craft Cutlass straight inboard with a 305, question is what RPM are you guys crusie at and how long do you stay it that cruise rpm?

Reason I ask is I'm new to boats and have read on other forms that cruising at 3,200-3,500 is the norm, and noI'm not doubting the info on the other form I just want to hear the same or possibly have someone correct me encase I got bad info........ BTW I did blow my engine lost psi and she is a knocking , but I think that has more to due with od age and not high RPM's ............Anyway opinions please....
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's a 305 CID Chevy?
    3000 to 3500 RPM is about where the best torque curve is. Pending economic operation, when the bow just comes down is your minimum planing / cruise speed.
    After you verify WOT is around 4300 rpm.
    I remember my old 20' Thompson with a 302 CID gas; 3000 rpm was the sweet spot just after the bow came down light.
    Full of people the torque curve helped the cruise around 3300 rpm and made the same speed. Modified V hull. No tabs.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You or your tech has to pull the heads. I feel you spun a bearing and lost a piston and rod.
    305 Chevys are cheap and your stuff will fit a 350. Something to consider if your going to run heavy a lot.
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Yes 305 Chevy :). The engine is dead for now , I'll search for the sweet spot next season . No trim tabs on my boat , I may add them later, too soon to tell right now if I need tabs.

Thanks for the reply! :)
  5. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Yup I'm the tech Capt do it yourself ha ha ........... and yes I spun a rod bearing , she's done for the season so sad first boat and barely got to use it wha ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, anyway I'm going to pull and rebuild the 305 or possibly fit a 350 Chevy, bear in mind present engine is reverse rotation so I gotta sort out what that means as far as a clock wise rotation engine, in short I would like the 350 but not at the exspense of complicating the refit.

Thanks for the reply! :)
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Viewed from the flywheel end, a right turning (clockwise) flywheel is standard rotation with a chain drive cam shaft.
    A left turning flywheel is reverse direction with a special gear driven cam shaft.

Your clutch has an adjustment to pump oil in either direction but the adjustment has to be made.
    Your clutch may have a reduction that changes prop rotation from crank rotation.
    Interesting, what rotation does your prop spin moving forward?