Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for Mulder

Charge Air Temperature Warning "MAN Engines"

Discussion in 'Engines' started by T.K., Apr 23, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Good evening,

I have MAN 1100CRM engines. I am receiving a "Charge Air Temperature" warning on my port engine and the charge air temperature increases to 65 degc at 75% engine load. The charge air temperature of the starboard engine at the same load is 56 degc. When slowing down the charge air temperature on the port engine drops to approx. 59 degc.

Any ideas what could be the cause of this warning?

Thank you........

Tarek

Attached Files:

2. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

You might open the water side of the aftercooler and check if all tubes for water flow are free or if some are blocked by whatever kind of dirt.
  3. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Thanks Bernd........I will check the water flow in and out of the intercooler.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Do these engines have Raw or Fresh Water cooled Charge Air Coolers?

Does the Fuel Filter Alarm shown in the display also clear when you slow down?
  5. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Hi, the engines have raw water cooled intercoolers.

The fuel/water separator alarm appeared about 15 minutes prior to the charge air temperature warning, but does not clear when slowing down. It only cleared when I drained the fuel/water separator.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The reason I was asking was the Fuel Filter Alarm didn't say if it were Water/Blocked or Temperature related and I was thinking if you had two raw water cooled things and both were alarming at higher loads it would point a bit closer to a SW Flow problem which could range from a blocked sea water filter, a worn or defective pump to grass or some other foreign body restricting the passage ways in the cooler(s).
  7. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

It is well possible that some of the heat exchanger tubes in the aftercooler are not frer even without affecting the flow of raw water sigbificantly. I had to open one of my aftercoolers some time ago and found abuot 40% of the tubes blocked wit fine mud and small pieces of rust from my aftercooler bottom plate.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How many hours and what age are the engines? Man recommends cleaning heat exchangers/intercoolers etc every 2 years or 1000 hours. It could also be a raw water impellor that is missing a blade, how was coolant temp? It could also be a bad sensor. I've also had the man boxes go bad as well and keep sending a false code and dropping rpm's.......
  9. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

240 hours, 2 years old.

What is the best intercooler cleaning procedure for regular maintenance?

Checked the impeller, it's fine.

Like you mentioned above, it's most probably a bad sensor. With just the engine ignition turned on the following day and without starting the engines (cold engines at ambient temperature), all the engine temperature sensors, coolant, oil, turbo air,...etc. were reading 31 degc, but the charge air temperature sensor was reading 63 degc.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Before shelling out for a new sensor you could try swapping the sensors one engine to the other and see if the error transfers to the other engine.
  11. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Hi K1W1,

The sensor will be replaced under MAN warranty, therefore it's the responsibility of the local MAN dealer.

I suggested to the MAN dealer we swap the sensors, but they thought it is better to replace them immediately. The removal of the sensor involves removing the expansion tank and they would like to do this once with the new replacement sensors.
  12. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

The various engine temperature readings..........

Attached Files: