Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Comfort Click for Delta

Caterpillar 3412c

Discussion in 'Engines' started by searage, Mar 2, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. searage

searage Member

Good afternoon, i am considering the purchase of a 1997 CAT 3412c powered vessel with an early engine code below 3JK00880. In 1998 CAT issued a technical bulletin reference changes to the heads. The dowel bridges were replaced with new heads that had dowel-less bridges. The bulletin warned of using the older valves on the newer heads. If the incorrect valves were used it could cause premature failure of the valves. Does anyone on the forum know why the change to the dowel-less design took place. Are the early engines with dowel heads reliable?
  2. CatTech

CatTech New Member

The doweled valve bridge adds an additional adjustment to the valve adjustment procedure. If these adjustments are not checked often enough and done correctly it can cause the bridge to stick on the dowel causing a failure.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I would think this is not a problem with the engine, rather, making sure the correct and correctly informed tech is doing any adjustments or service. I'm thinking the OP is concerned of taking over these engines.

I'm not a Cat guy like CatTech & others, but I love ole proven engines.
    I have been on one ship with 3412s and loved them.
    Actually miss them. I think it's a good design.
    C rated should run for a long while. The Boat I was on was E rated but idled everywhere AND still took the abuse very well.