Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Cat C12 Display Hours v Engine Meter

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Maxwell, Mar 19, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

As stated in another thread, we have a used boat under contract. There is a discrepancy between the hours on the helm mounted electronic Cat displays and the analog meters in the ER. I know once Cat is on board they will be able to get the whole story but was wondering if anyone had any insight.

The Port motor shows 680.9 in the ER and 682 at the helm. The Starboard is showing 589.4 in the ER and 682 at the helm. I am (possibly wrongly) assuming that the helm Cat displays would be correct as they get their data from the motor's evc and that possibly the analog gauges in the ER were accidentally disconnected at some point for a period of time. The boat is a 2003 Tiara 42 open and does not appear to have been fished.

Thoughts/possible explanation?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

One of the analogue ones might have been replaced at some stage.

If the CAT Guy has a laptop with ET on it all should be revealed including how much time has been spent at what power settings.

Also the engine control on an electronic CAT is an ECM Electronic Control Module not an EVC that's a Volvo thing.
  3. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Thanks K1W1... (I came from a volvo boat and need to brush up on Cat terminologies)
    I'll ensure that MI Cat has the correct equipment when coming to survey the motors.

Appreciate all the help.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The ones in the engine room are analog and the helm ones are based off of the computer. It is common for analogs to not be 100% accurate and that is why you see a 2hr difference on the port......just like a watch once a year needs the time adjusted......the other one sounds like they changed the gauge at some point in time. If both of the helm ones are consistent I wouldn't worry about it.