Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

CAT 3412 not turning

Discussion in 'Engines' started by SMR-PILOT, Jan 22, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SMR-PILOT

SMR-PILOT Member

Having an issue with my boat which I initially thought would be electrical.
    Previous time I took the boat out, she behaved perfectly. I ran the engines at very low speeeds, no overheating, no weird smoke, nothing. So 2 days ago I warmed up the eingines for a little while, no problem. I did notice the starboard engine a bit weak at startup. So the next day i went and checked again, and again, the starboard engine sounded weak. So I camee back the next day and checked the batteries. One of the batteries was dead, so i thought that would be it. I replaced the battery and started the engine again. This time it started right up, perfectly, HOWEVER, 2 minutes later the engine all of a sudden just stalled. after that, it just would not turn at all. they tell me I might have water in one cylinder blocking the engine. I{m hoping this is some electrical isse other than with the starter motor or voltage, maybe an old wire that need replacement. My mechanic will do his inspection in a few days. Anyone have anything ike this happen before?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If 1 battery was bad, you need to change ALL of them on the same bank. When one is dead, the other battery is bad also. Always change every battery on the bank at the same time. I'd get a mechanic out ASAP. It could be many posibilities. Easiest thing to do would be to put a breaker bar and socket on the front crankshaft nut and see if the motor will turn by hand. If so, have the starter checked. It could be a leaking aftercooler and filling the cylinders with water too, which would be VERY BAD if it sits for several days. Also, before doing any of this, if you have an oil pump out system, drain a gallon of oil out of the motor and into a bucket and see if there's any water in it. If not, dump it back in the motor.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Who is "they"?

Aftercooler failures on 3412s are very rare unlike the later C32s with early style aftercooler so it would be an incredible coincidence to have such a failure after a battery issue

As J said, if you have two batteries together on the same bank, then you have to replace both. I m pretty sure these are 24v engines so you need to replace both

After that make sure all connections are nice and tight. Both at the batteries and at the starter. It takes just one slightly loose connections to cause issues. Pay attention to the connections at the batteries, some connectors can be hard to secure properly

It could also be the reason for the engine shutting down if voltage dropped to low.
  4. CatTech

CatTech New Member

Battery voltage will need to drop below 10 volts to shut down a running engine. Look for the loss of voltage. As stated above all the batteries in a bank should be replaced together.
    You didn't give a specific model 3412 so ill give this statement
    Jacket water aftercoolers do not fail often. raw water aftercoolers are prone to failure with out proper maintenance.
    Another way to check if the engine is pumping water is remove the riser from the turbo and look for wetness. Inside the riser should be black but not wet. The riser to turbo seal is inexpensive and you just need to move it back enough to see. A jacket water aftercooler system would be low on coolant if it is the source of a hydrolocked engine.
    I would not recommend trying to turn the engine with the front bolts . this could cause the bolts to over torque and break off or strip in the crankshaft if there is a hydro lock unless the injectors are removed. Obtain the turning tool for the flywheel to attempt to hand turn the engine over.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You have to be honest; Is this a dock queen?
    You run her at the dock and really run her off the dock rarely?
    When was the last time the engines realized real operating temps and a load?
    Any service history?