Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay

Carver Engines

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by mossbayco, Aug 20, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

We are looking to purchase a Carver Voyager 56. Several have Volvo 675 hp engines fewer with smaller engines. However we cruise the northwest and speed is not an issue. To me it would seem better to have smaller engines that get pushed than big engines that rarely get exercised. Any suggestions. Also are big engine Carver 56's harder or easier to sell?
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

There is a stunning 56 near me that's been for sale a long time, broker says it's because it's underpowered.

Fuel economy can be an issue with smaller engines pushed hard, too.
  3. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

Thanks for the advise. Do you know the brokerage name that has the boat listed?
  4. praetorian47

Pride Marine Group. The boat is at Bayport Yachting Centre in Midland, Ontario. It's the Skylounge version, so no lower helm but tons more room.
  5. praetorian47

I mention fuel economy because I believe that boat has Volvo D9's in it (I could be wrong), and I just sold a 466 Carver with the same motors. Mine was heavy (extended platform, hard top, lots of batteries for inverter, crane, etc) and it took a lot to get on plane. i was full out, loaded with fuel etc and couldn't hit 20knots. I sold that boat for an older 55 Ocean with DD 8v71's. A bigger, heavier boat, with older bigger motors. On my long trip this summer, I saved significant fuel vs the last trip I did with the other boat. Same trip, at least 20% savings.

The Carver had to work hard, especially in bad weather, where these DD's just hum along at 1800RPM doing 22knots.
    This is far from definitive, but I have the fuel records from both trips to compare, so I'm not seething things in my situation.
  6. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

Thanks very much
  7. 30West

30West Member

Are these smaller engines continuous-duty rated like you see in bigger yachts? Unlikely, so pushing them hard for long periods may become more expensive than the additional fuel you might have used. How were they used by the current and previous owners?
    If the engines are a little on the small size, they worked very hard to run that boat on a plane, or they idled around a lot, neither would be great for light-duty diesel longevity.

I hear a lot about running diesels at 80% or 90% of WOT being good for them, but that really only applies to continuous-duty rated diesels installed in bigger yachts. People buy diesel Sea Rays and Carvers, and think that applies to their engines, and it really doesn't. I'm not a fan of undersized, light-duty diesels in smaller, recreational boats. They are adequate for someone like you who understands their proper care and feeding, but I'd want to check them over carefully in the used market. If they are in good shape, they might be perfect for you.
  8. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

Thanks makes a lot of sense.
  9. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

We have a 56 with D12's. You can figure 30kts at WOT will full fluids. Can't tell you about fuel flow because we don't have that option.
    At 1000 rpm's we go 10 kts and burn an average of 10 gph. We chose the D12's because of resale value due to the increase in performance.
    Hope this helps !
  10. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

Thanks very much that was a big help. Was considering one with smaller engines but was concerned about resale value. Anything about it that you do not like or wish you had. Have heard they tend to roll a little in rough water. However like the style and room better than a Navigator.
  11. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

We have ours on a freshwater lake so minimal rolling. We looked at Navigators and the amenities are not comparable to the Carver 56. We have been very happy with the selection and most important the product support from Carver is absolutely outstanding.
  12. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

That is pretty much what we thought about the quality and finish. Just having product support from the builder is a big deal now. We have seen little difference in the different model years. Did you know of any years that had issues other than what is normal for the 56's. We also have found what they are listed for and what they actually sell for is quit a bit different and there are a number for sale. Unfortunately for us most are in the mid-west or east. Russ
  13. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

You might find the difference between asking and selling price is the result of a quality survey. We found conditions of boats all over the place. You will have the opportunity to pay too much for a poorly maintained boat ! We closely scrutinized 5 different 56's in different parts of the country before we pulled the trigger. Hopefully you can find your perfect boat on the west coast.
  14. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

Good advise Thanks.
    I wish there was a way to move one from East of the Mississippi to the west coast that did not cost $70,000+. There would a lot more to choose from. There is really only one out here worth looking at, the other two have 480 Hp engines. After the holiday we are off to San Diego to check it out. Fortunately we have a nice boat now and can wait for the right one. Thanks for all the advise.
  15. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

Hope you do not mind another question. I have been trying to find a rpm/speed/fuel consumption chart for a 675 HP 56 Carver without much luck. Looks like if we get the one in San Diego we will run it up the coast. Trying to figure out range at difference power settings. Thanks in advance.
  16. Mike Moser

Mike Moser New Member

17. mossbayco

mossbayco New Member

Thanks I had seen that just wondering if there was anything else out there.