Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

Carver 530 speed

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Paul Duggan, Mar 3, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Paul Duggan

Paul Duggan New Member

Hi all i have a 1998 Carver 530 with the Cummins 450HP engines that have both just been rebuilt... my question is what top speed and at what RPMs should i see... at the moment top speed is 20 knots... this is achieved with 3/4 full of fuel and a cleanish bottom hull... cheers
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

You can get the prop, torque, and fuel curves from the Cummins website for full info, but then translating that into speeds needs some testing.

Those engines reach rated HP at a WOT of 2600 RPM. If you can reach, say, 2625-2650 with full load, resulting speed is probably tops of what you can get.

If your current top speed of 20 kts is at 2625-2650, you're probably there. Otherwise, you maybe need some more hull cleaning, some prop tweaking...

-Chris
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

They be just been rebuilt and the mechanic didn’t do a sea trial with you on board to make sure the engines reached rated RPM? They should be 2600 rpm engines.
  4. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

A bit late to the party, but you should see about 24 with favorable fuel and conditions. I always found it takes a lot of tab to get the last few knots out of it. I would still think you should be faster than 20 with 3/4 fuel.