Click for MotorCheck Click for Comfort Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

Carver 506 cruise speeds and performance experience.

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Rusty Mayes, May 26, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rusty Mayes

Rusty Mayes Member

I bought a 2000 506 powered by Volvo 74 TMAD engines. The seller had very little experience operating the boat and often had a captain move the boat for him. I tried getting information from the captain but he really just delivered the boat in the most time efficient manner with little regard to fuel conservation or attention to performance. I am looking to get solid information on the speeds and power settings that actual owner operators see and use. This boat drowns its swim deck at various speeds which is very concerning. I am used to operating my SeaRay 44DB with Cummins QSC 500HDs at 28000 lbs so moving to the Carver 506 with 2 480 HP Volvos and 50000 lbs is so different, Any help would be very appreciated. I knew going in to the 506 that it really is a nice condo on the water and not a high performance seaworthy vessel when compared to others in its class. We spend a lot of time on it as a weekend get away but when we do have the occasion to cruise for the weekend I want to optimize the performance it is capable of.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Rusty
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Bury the trim tabs down is about all you can do.