Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Carver 460 voyager - opinions needed - vs- Sea Ray sedan bridge 48'

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by ak23, Oct 18, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ak23

ak23 New Member

Considering getting a 2006 carver 460 - got one in mind 700 miles away. Would love to hear thoughts on this boat? The only negative thing we've hear is that its rocks a lot in rough seas. We like it for all the space and 3 state rooms and will be using it on the Great Lakes for weeks at a time

1. any common problems w the boat mechanically over time
    2 any other boats sim that you would recommend- we like the Sea Ray sedan bridge 48 , we hate the motor yacht style floor plans
    3. unfamiliar with buy-in g a boat this far away - will need to get it from Iowa to MI - not sure this costs involved
    4. do they come with diff size/manuf diesels - seems like most are volvos
    5. can't seem to find much other information on them? curious original list price?
  2. Dweintra

Dweintra New Member

I bought a Carver 560 this year and have been super happy with it. It has the Volvo tamd75’s which have been reliable. I have run the boat from San Diego to Seattle (home) and all over the San Juan and Gulf Islands in BC. I have called Carver many times are they are super helpful every time!!

I have friends with a Sea Ray 480 they are pleased with for years now.

Hopefully someone can chime in with better feedback about those models.
  3. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

The 460 Voyager is a great boat. They will not rock any more or any less than a comparable size bridge boat.

1. They are a solid fiberglass hull, cored from the waterline to the rub rail like most vessels. The hull structure has zero wood below the waterline and is all solid fiberglass.
    2. The 480 Sedan Bridge is likely the closest boat to the 460 Voyager and in general runs a little better and is a little faster with Cat or Cummins power.
    3. This varies greatly as to where it is. I have delivered these all over the US, feel free to PM me and I can go into detail.
    4. The 460 Voyager only came with Volvo power, earlier 450 Voyager models had the option for 450 Cummins but the 460 did not.
    5. Not 100% sure on original list price, but thats kind of old info at this point in the game. If you like the boat, go for it!

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with either models you mention, I would give the Sea Ray a little bit of an edge due to the better over all gel coat finish and handling from personal experience.

Another item to note is the helm location, I much prefer the helm back a bit on the bridge vs. all the way forward. On a hot sunny day you are baking all day in the forward seating.