Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

Carver 444 - Compare Data

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by jlplatts, Dec 15, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

We have a 2001 Carver 444 with 370 Cummins. The boat came from the factory with 24x30 4 blade props. We are not the original owners, have had her about 2 years. We like the boat a lot, the layout works well for us.

Since we got her we have had trouble getting the engines to meet rated rpms. With the factory props the best we could get was about 2500 wot. We have done all of the things that are recommended to check the issue - clean bottom and running gear, fuel, turbos, etc. Cummins certified mechanic checked the engines and all shows fine. So, we adjusted pitch. We now have 24x25 four blade props and we barely make rated RPMS if all is clean. At this point our depending on conditions cruse speed is 13 to 15 knots at 2400 -2500 rpms- barely on plane with tabs. Other than personal items like clothes and provisions there is nothing adding significant weight.

I am hoping to connect with other 444 owners to see how your vessels compare. I can't help but feel we are missing something. Thoughts, feedback, and comparisons would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do your motors reach peak rpms with no load on? If so the problem is most likely still the propping or possibly the gearing. Were the 24x25 props the suggestion of your yard or was it after a computer analysis by a prop shop?
  3. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

Thanks for the reply. No-load RPMs were about 3200. The prop recommendation was from the mechanic and discussions with the prop shop based on sea trial info. We have no noticeable smoke while underway. The situation doesn't seem to change regardless of fuel load - we carry max 400 gallons. Two primary tanks are mid-ship that hold 130 gallons each and two auxiliary tanks aft that hold 70 gallons each.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I believe these motors are rated for 3,000 max RPMs but are often propped to get about 3,100 from what I've read. So it sounds like the motors are fine. If you're getting close to that under load then there is no problem. I used to run the 2002 version of this boat with the small Volvos, and your speeds sound about right (bad but right). Our boat would max at about 17-19kts in calm water. In a 2' sea she'd be down to 12-14kts. The selling point of these boats is the layout, not their performance or sea keeping.
    On a side note be careful when fueling those aux. tanks. If you get fuel up into the fuel neck the odor enters the aft stateroom on the port side.
  5. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

We seem to be in the same range. We are not looking for speed, but i found it strange that we would be so far off the the factory test data and that any boat manufacturer would send a bout out so over propped. I was looking for conformation that others were operating in the same neighborhood mostly to confirm that I didn't need to look further. Fuel consumption on plane is considerable, but get her down to hull speed and it is much better. It needs to be about the journey and not the destination and that is a good thing.

I have experienced the fueling odor issue. Also, the vents on the primary tanks are so low it is really easy to splash a little fuel when filling them.

Thank you for the responses and have a great holiday.
  6. talexander38

talexander38 Member

We have a friend in our Marnia with your setup and he has re-prop'd also and gets your results, but he did put bigger tabs on and planes now much ez'r. the factory ones are to small.
  7. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

Thanks for the response. My mechanic suggested larger tabs. Do you know if your friend did new tabs or extensions. Did he have to add additional cylinders.
  8. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

You will see a wide range of "theories" for setting factory props depending on the boatbuilder. They typically want to get the highest documented speeds for better sales. Some things that I have seen include setting props at ridiculous light loads and not including margin for owner's gear. This light load does not represent a true weight and trim condition for the owner. Also, if they do these "optimistic" settings in colder climes, they will never translate to high temp and humidity conditions in FL.

Talk to Joel at General Propellor in Bradenton 941.748.1527, as a major OEM prop supplier he has just about seen it all.

There may be other issues at work, including weight/trim, and inefficient tabs. It sounds like your boat sits stern down and can't get out of the proverbial "hole" . I have seen some prop guys play with cup (while reducing some pitch) to get more lift out of the propeller and improve this issue on some boats, but this tends to be a long trial and error experience with multiple haul-outs. Going to the largest (Dual Ram) tab is also a good improvement.
  9. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

PacBlue thanks for the response. General Propeller is the shop we are working with, they are good folks. We have a light cup in the props. It is sounding like we are about normal for this boat. I appreciate the feedback.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

One insurmountable problem you're facing is that this boat is basically designed as a 39 and then extended.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Every Cummins boat I've run with the 330's, 370's, 450's or 480hp has ended up overpropped after they've accumulated 200 hours or so on them......overpropped by about 200 rpms give/take. In my experience it seems the Cummins lose 20% of their power somewhere after the first few hundred hours, then they seem to stay that way for the life of them......I can think of a dozen boats I've run over the years with the above mentioned HP's and they've all been the same......
  12. talexander38

talexander38 Member

naw can't tell you the size of his tabs and he's gone for the season. Get a hold of Bennett marine they're great to work with, I'M changing my own tabs this yard period, Carver put 28x9's on my 3607 and upping them to 42x12 with dual rams and water dams on the ends of them, The dam keeps the water under the tab at the ends and makes even more lift.

as for prop's mine started life as 22x22's they're now 22x21 with a #4 cup. it took 3 seasons to get them right. We put the cup in to cut back on slippage.

But remember I'm running 454 Merc's with 1850 hrs....O and they still squeeze test at 160 lbs. avg. :D
  13. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

NYCAP, Capt J, and talexander, Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the feedback and information.
  14. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

Sam, thanks for the link. I have seen it before and that is what was making me wonder if I was missing something. There is a significant disconnect with the test results and what I am achieving. So I was looking for data points from other 444 owners for comparison. There seems to be some consensus that the test report and real life differs significantly.
  15. sam356

sam356 Member

You have diesel engines you get 3200 rpm which is perfect. I look at other carvers like yours with the same engines and they have the 24 x 30 for a prop size. You do have the wrong prop size I would go back with your original prop after the prop shop recondition them. If your engines have a lot of hours on them it might need a overhaul. I also would find a true cummins mechanic to check your engines.
  16. sam356

sam356 Member

You should have a electric governor on your engines so 3200 rpm is all you would get. Thats why you change your props to a smaller one it only turned so much. If it was gas engines you would see a big difference in your rpm. Look at a 2003 carver and see if they did any changes on the trim tabs, I don't think so.
  17. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

The No Load 3200 rpm for this diesel is at that dock in neutral, hence No Load, and is indepenedent of prop size. It just verifies throttle travel and the engines ability to hit peak rpm.

One question not asked yet is what is the water depth this boat is running in? I have also seen some boats struggle to get out of the whole in water depths under 12' (ICW), you typically want to sea trial in a water depth of at least 5 x your draft.
  18. hopper5

hopper5 Member

I agree with the previous reply in regards to the "published" data being a bit exaggerated....I have been racking my head against the wall trying to get better performance from my 1994 440. With twin Cats 3116 (300 hp) I am turning the published 2800RPM with original props and tabs and still only squeaking out 16.5 kts WOT FULLY loaded.......I am anxious to lighten the load and try again .......so you are not alone !!
  19. jlplatts

jlplatts Member

Thanks all for the replies. 3200 RPM is at the dock, with no load, under load the best we achieve if about 2950 or so. PacBlue, yes, we do notice a difference based on water depth. Shallower parts (8 to 10 feet) we lose about 1 to 2 knots. The results I noted early was deeper water about 20+ feet.

Thanks again for all of the responses.
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I m wondering what happened during the pre purchase survey and sea trial. What cruise and top speeds did you get?

What was done to the boat since that would lead to such a loss of performance.