Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Carver 4207 salon AC?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by autowerks, Jun 19, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. autowerks

autowerks Member

My salon AC took a crap over the winter and I need a replacement. Anyone know which unit is there now and what will be a direct replacement?

Any help would be appreciated
  2. sam356

sam356 Member

Did you get a marine ac guy too look at it first you are better off spending a couple of hundred dollars before spending thousands. My refrigerator stop working last year a guy came out repaired it for $200 it was something simple. I was about to buy a new refrigerator for $1500.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Define "took a crap"

Surely, you don't mean this literally, do you? What are the symptoms, how old is the existing unit? If the compressor doesn't start it could be a simple as a bad start capacitor... If it doesn't cool, could be a simple leak...
  4. autowerks

autowerks Member

Existing unit is original.

Boat was in the water all winter with reverse cycles running. 3/4 of the way through winter salon stopped working. When turned to the start position it blows air fine, when switched to the run position the compressor attempts to start a few times but blows a fuse and shuts off. Finding a marine a/c mechanic in Chicago has proven difficult.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Blows a fuse or the breaker? Original means how old?

If it s fairly recent, say under 8 to 10 years the compressor may be worth replacing if that's the cause, over that and a new unit is a better option.

Bt again you need to make sure it s not something simple like a capacitor, relay, etc...
  6. autowerks

autowerks Member

blows the breaker. the boat is a 86 and I assume it is original
  7. sam356

sam356 Member

Does your ac water pump run all the time or does it come on when your ac compressor comes on. If it does come on when your compressor comes and you blow a breaker I would say your ac water pump went bad.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That's another possibility although I would guess that there are more than one unit on that boat and typical builders feed them off the same pump.

If it s that old, and if it s not something simple like a capacitor, you re better off replacing it than repairing. Things have changed in the past 25 years, self contained marine AC unit have become smaller and more efficient. Check the capacity of the one you have, as well as the over dimension and shoo around. I ve heard good thing about the marinair integra series, they have digital controls, sound shield and built in gauges and are cheaper than other brands. On the other hand, one could argue that there is often a reason fr something to be cheap :)
  9. autowerks

autowerks Member

Quick question. Where the heck is the salon ac?
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Note to all boat owners: It's your boat. Don't be afraid to explore. You really need to open all hatches to learn where things (bilge pumps, a/c units with filters to be cleaned, plumbing connections, etc.) are. One of the oddest a/c installations I ran into was behind a screwed on vent, way inside a built in sofa. Doubt anyone over 3 years old could work on it without taking the sofa apart and I'd hate to do that every month just to clean the filter.
    A/c units need air flow. So you'll probably find it behind a vent or in a fairly open space.
  11. autowerks

autowerks Member

I have only been onboard for a few minutes in the past few days so I didn't have a lot of time to search. The only place I didn't search was behind the dishwasher which I didn't have time to pull out.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That doesn't sound like the right place. All of these units that I'm aware of have a filter that needs to be cleaned regularly, and the unit is probably about 12x15x12 or bigger. It should also probably have a hose from the condensation pan to the bilge. About the smallest places I've seen them in have been under a sofa on a Formula 40PC and under a bed on other boats. And again, unless it's in an open area like under the galley sole or in the bilge, there should be a vent near it. You say it turns on? Then turn it on. Your ears will lead you to it.
    P.S. Not cleaning that filter may well be what brought on your problems.
  13. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

In a 42 I seem to recall it over near the dinette in the salon wall.
  14. MysticDolphin

MysticDolphin Member

on mine, the ac in the salon is behind the vent where the lower helm would be.. mine does not have the lower helm.. but i believe there is an intake vent (air return) for all models in that same spot.. you have to remove the vent.. and ther it is.. the pump for the water is under the galley floor in front of the stairs ...
  15. Kefi

Kefi New Member

Carver 4207 Salon AC

The air conditioner unit is, in fact located behind the vent/return.
    I need to remove the old unit in order to install a replacement. This is obvioulsy original equipment (1987).
    Does anyone out there have any idea how I can remove the old unit? Obviously it will not fit through the opening and I can't seem to be able to remove the panels for access to the unit. I've looked and looked and looked?
    If anyone can offer some help I would appreciate it.