Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Captains Manual Help needed

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by croow, Dec 30, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. croow

croow New Member

Hi to All,
    I am about to start working on a 43 m steel hull.
    This is going to be my first boat as Master on such a size and I am currently writing my Captains manual and Standing orders, as well as crew etiquette.
    I was wondering if anybody has any resources to help me with that

Thanks!!
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

How did you get the experience and qualifications to operate it if you have not encountered the documents you are asking for before?

When sailing as Chief Officer you should be the Captains deputy and have access to all that paperwork, writing your own should be easy from memory if you didn't take a copy of the last ones you worked under.
  4. croow

croow New Member

I am 42 y/o and have always worked as Master ( believe it or not). I started from small sailing boats and went from there.
    I am currently on a 27m power boat and the owner is upgrading to 43m.
    I hold an MCA chief mate 3000 gt COC
    I guess the owner trusts me enough for this and I trust my self. I know that I have the experience and knowledge to do this.
    I have already wrote, a lot regarding standing orders and SOPS and also a bit on the safety drills, so I just wanted to see somebody else's notes to compare and also see if I am on the right track.

Thanks to all !!!
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Now I'm a bit confused like Kiwi. Don't you have what you wrote for the 27m just to be revised for the larger boat? You make it sound like you are starting from scratch. Then you mention your chief mate license but not your Masters license. Perhaps we're just missing something in translation.
  6. croow

croow New Member

Sorry for confusing you guys.
    On my 27m I was working with my Yachtmaster Ocean certificate. When the owner decided to upgrade, I went through the MCA route and I am now C Mate. The vessel is being built at the moment and will be launched near the end of 2014, where I am hoping by then, I will have my Master COC.
    The captains manual that I have on this 27 m that I am currently working, is pretty basic as theres only three crew including my self. The one that I am writing involves 9 crew including my self so I am sure you can see the difference there.

So If anybody would like to help a fellow professional thank you very much, If not, thanks again for your time.
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

First of all welcome, I have respect for wanting and asking for help in your move up the ladder, there are many who think they know everything and refuse to ask for help, good luck. Don't ever feel like you can't ask the older generation, you might get some flack (as above) but don't let that deter you.
    There are some good resources out there, one I have recently found is Super yacht operating systems, put together by a very knowledgable captain, wish it was around when I put my first one together. I also have a CD and Booklet from Wright Maritime, check on their web site it might be available or google it, I am sure it is on line somewhere.
    I hope that helps, and good luck.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

YCHTCPTN, I did not write my post as flack.

Given the scant information in the first post I was curious as to how the poster could have got all the way to being master of a 43m Steel Yacht without having these type docs in his possession or recent experience anyway.

Now he has explained that he has always worked as Master and not been under a Master it make his request a little clearer.

Not knowing when he got his current CoC it seems like a pretty short time frame to get the sea time,do all the courses,pass the exams and his orals by end of 2014 all the while trying to setup and take delivery of a new 43m yacht.

I wish him luck with his quest, it is not something I can help much with as it is not my speciality field and have no copies of papers/manuals I can send him.

I could probably answer any questions he has on the build though.

So, CROOW if you have build questions let me know and I will see what I can do to help in that direction.
  9. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Send me a PM and I will help to steer you in the right direction...