Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

captain wanted

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by sharkbait, Apr 13, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

We require a experienced captain to sail our Classic Bluewater Sailboat Columbia MKI 29 ft. from port Ashtabula, Ohio to Brisbane, Australia.

please email Admin Edit: e-mail address removed!

wage negotiable.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Good luck finding someone with dry ink on their license to sail a little boat like that from the middle of the US to the Australian East Coast.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Attached Files:

4. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

Good on you kiwi.
    yep it the one we are looking at...
    I don't like our chances either lol.
    but you just never know.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Have you looked at what it would cost to drop that thing on a containership versus running it on it's own bottom?

Have you also thought abut the fact that it has an old gas engine in it and it is 50 yrs old?

I can understand someone moving something like this all that distance if it had some personal sentiment but to buy an old dunger like that and drag it all the way to Australia might seem like a cheap way to get a boat now but won't be by the time you have it at home and can sail on it yourself when you want.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is no way you are going to find a Captain to run that boat from Ohio, to Australia. Ship it by truck to WPB or Savannah, then load it on a freighter and have it shipped over there.
  7. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

I have- it is about $5,200 + import duty for a DIY container and loader.
    (cheaper than expected) or
    $25,000 from a yacht transport company to freight it (yeah right, the bloke sounded like a bigger tool than i am)...

However- I am still trying to find plans of one to make sure it will fit in a high cube type container (would you know the aprox height?)

I don't know what $$$ someone would want to skipper it that distance or if anyone would want to, I have a little idea of wage in Australia- minimum lol.
    If we all can get insurance and they have certification blue water expeirence etc ...
    I saw no harm in asking price/stores wanted.

If I go to the usa- it is tempting to sail her myself...
    she is a strong old boat in good nick, and i know enough to be dangerious.
    cost of this is $997.oo + provisions
    probably a HUGE BILL for AMSA + maybe my ass.

sometimes cheap is not the best and maybe the person wants to teach (wife)for a wage till he has his next ride or what ever...
  8. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

To be honest
    this would be my dream job- delivering yachts,
    I do wish I was single and young again...
    Ok, the job wouldn't be for 99.999 % of captains
    but maybe someone needs the work to get them through, retired and needs some extra cash or working holliday, whatever...

OK its one of those sorts of jobs- slow without comforts of bigger yachts, more risk (depending of your plans), long hours, Isolation and minium wage...
    just to start.
    plane fare Australia to USA is $997-oo at persent
    everything else is negotiable.

transporting the yacht by container is a very cost effective one at the monent, thoe i am still sweating on the height
    I dont think this yacht has a removable keel- but i have been wrong many times before.

I guess I will never know for sure if I don't ask
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't see the math adding up vs buying something locally or at least in SE Asia.

Containers are around 7' tall I believe, no way it will fit but it would fit on flat bed. More exposed obviously but a good cradle and shrink wrap it s doable.

Still costly compared to the boat value

As to taking it on it s own bottom... No prof captain is going to do it unless they ve got a few loose stays up there... :). Just the time alone, it would take what? 3 months? Plus the required gear, upgraDes,...
  10. Ward

Ward Senior Member

A Columbia 29 like that is the first boat I remember sailing on as a kid. A classic S&S design. You may be able to order copies of some of the blueprints to get a better estimate of the height, but it's certainly over 9'.

Columbia 8.7 Literature
  11. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

It is about 13000 miles and at an average speed of 4 knots thats 136 days non stop which is not going to happen. realistically it will be well over 6 months without taking into account seasonal weather patterns.

You have to look at a qualified captain no matter how experienced as a tradesman and they will expect to be remunerated as such.

It is not uncommon for a boat that size to take 3 months from Panama to the Marquesas
  12. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Sharkbait, you are getting good advice from experienced guys here.
    The sums don’t add up either way. What seems like a good buy in the US will very likely end up being overpriced by the time you have it in Australia.
    Besides the difficulty in finding the right captain at the right price, what sort of condition will this 29’ yacht be in by the time it docks?
    Shipping it is the answer, but does not add up.
    It only works for a special boat, if this is one, okay, but doesn’t seem so. There are a LOT of boats here from the US that were imported because they seemed “cheap” and now the owners are realising the market has dropped, in some ways because of these imports, besides our own deteriorating economy.

BTW, you mention there is duty to be paid.
    Not true IF it is built in the USA. We have a Free Trade Agreement with the US.
    Keep in mind, many used boats come from the US to Aus, but they must be built there to avoid the Duty.
    Good luck!
  13. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

ward a high cube container is 9'2" with my luck the yacht will be a half foot taller.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just take it out to the ocean and let it loose with a GPS tracking device on it.....you know like the Japanese ghost ship.......and in a year when it's close to Australia.....just go out and get it......
  15. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

hi pascal, thanks for the input...

I have been looking here for quite a while,

a full keel blue water yacht still comands $15k + here
    not that there are many,
    we looked at a damaged 26' contessa for the same price, but it was sold the day b4 we got there.

I don't know much about boats, but I know the yachts here are either
    not suitable, rubbish or big $$$ (big to us).

so many of them have been owned by land captains and just left to rot on moorings. It is actually heartbreaking.
    the good thing to come from my searching is-
    It is evident annual slipping and maintance saves alot of expense in the long term.
  16. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

That would almost be the same as me sailing it back. LOL
  17. sharkbait

sharkbait New Member

I know I get great advice here.... I love the site

I know nothing, and ask some stupid questions, and
    most are patient and can find ways around everything.

I am learning all the time.

I really don't know what someone would want $$$ to do it nor how or why.
    I do realise it a 3 month min trip, If any said other, I would look for Another
    I can forget professional transport companies cost would be on par with a good vessel in australia.

As for a captain who is flying a flag at half mast....
    we all have our defects.. as long as his last job wasnt on the costa cordia
    he may be capable, there are no guarentees with anything these days.

I don't know if anyone would want the owner onboard on a trip like this,
    but I would be asking if he wanted a deck hand, and I'd go in a heart beat.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

19. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Can you get any farther away?

Let's see, the earth is just under 25K miles in circumference, and a google of columbus OH to Brisbane is near 10K miles... I think of all the boats in the world, you've found one that's in the top 0.1% furthest away from you! I'd suspect there's some sort of strange karma thing going on! :rolleyes:

Kiwi made a great point, you can get something in better shape close by for less overall cost. Those I know who have sailed to your area from the Atlantic did it for adventure, and I doubt would do it for any other reason. Given that scenario, I doubt any competent skipper would undertake such an adventure without going over and prepping the vessel in great detail. Preparations and modifications for sustained offshore sailing will cost more than boat itself. I don't know Australia at all, but it looks like you're on the east coast, and this is kind of like going to Perth (west coast) to buy a used car that's a good deal, and hoping someone will drive it back to you.

That said, who can top the proposed 9158 mile transit with a longer one they've done... with details (what, when, why, etc)!?

Chuck
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Has to be external ballast... Pull the rudder, drop the keel and it should fit. A lot cheaper this way!