Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights

Captain/Mate needed immediately

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by 993RSR, Apr 10, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

4/10/2004-1991 70 Hatteras cockpit motor yacht needs full time captain experienced in Hatteras product with ability and desire to complete routine maintenance. Boat is currently in the Bahamas and due to head for Annapolis in 2 weeks. Winters in outh Florida and Summers in Annapolis, cruise the chesapeake with a trip North mid summer. Owners considering larger MY with charter potential. Owners are very reasonable people that respect a well kept boat and willing to pay. Great gig for the right person or team. Former Captain recently vanished

Call Bill Walczak for immediate consideration
  2. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

position still open (4-20)

Captain or captain and mate team

hatteras experience

east coast/bahamas cruising experience

must have verifiable track record as a live aboard captain on similar vessel. 2 years or more working for the same owner

This is a nice boat, start salary $60-$70K (capt only) depending on maintenance skills and experience

I have a stack of resumes but no one that fits yet.

By the time I find a captain we will have a bigger boat!
  3. trouty

trouty New Member

Can you

get me a green card or should I sneak in with a group of haitian refugees driving a green pickup truck across from Cuba? :D ;)

Maybe you'll have to lower your sights or raise the salary cap doubletime - I'd listen to, or talk to you, for 20% of that figure but to take on that responsibility for the sheckles on offer after the last guy done a runner sounds mighty risky to me.... :rolleyes:

Whats the deal with the owners? Does the wife act like Phyllis Diller on a bad hair day or something?

Good captains don't run from 70ft Hatts unless theres a good rerason - C'mon fess up - whats the real deal? :)

You know if you can't find the guy you want theres no shame in developing someone below the benchline - who knows maybe the owners wil get someone gratefull for the opportunity who will reward them with loyalty, and stick around instead of doing a runner!.

Lots of people want to buy the right man - some people go to the trouble of training their own. Just throwing large amounts of $ boating problems don't always just make them magically dissapear, just ask Dennis Conner, after he ran into Benny Lexcens winged keel! ;)

Most salts worth a rum ration wouldn't waste their time responding to that selection criteria - I know I wouldn't! :)

Good Luck
  4. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Plenty of talent out there who want to run a 125'+ tri deck. Hatteras 70 is drawing people with boating experience and a license but little to no full time experience as a Captain. I wish the salary we are offering was the problem. Easy fix.

The Captain who walked off the boat in the Bahamas had 2 very legitimate reasons. Alcohol and a new women pal. Those ingrediants were just enough to bring out his true colors.

We have hired a new Captain. Plenty of experience and as professional and mild mannered as they come. Hope it works out long term.
  5. trouty

trouty New Member

I hope it works out too

for them all Dbltime...

Theres a heck of a lot to be said for experience...and theres a heck of a lot to be said for qualifications as well.

Then again sometimes even those two combined aint enough - throw in woman and alcohol (a volatile mix at the best of times - bout as touchy as deisel and urea...anpho). :rolleyes:

So where do you find the solid, reliable, family guy with experience, qualifications, sober, whose easy to get along with but firm yet calm in an emergency?

Usually those sorts have already made their own way in life and arent looking to be employed by someone else to manage their toys.

Heres someone 63 years old with a lifetimes experience at sea and a Masters IV (200 Miles 200 tonnes) license who could be in the market for a position. ;) :D

and this from todays Sunday times local press..

and This from Tomorrows daily Newspaper!.

There are sometimes Doubletime when even experience AND qualifications don't cut the mustard, and this looks like one of them...best part of a lifetime at sea 250 days a year for likely 45 - 50 years...

If my memory serves - this is likely the same vessel & skipper who lost his deckhand overboard two years ago with his leg tangled in a pot rope!

Bad luck just seems to follow him around.

If no one told you about his past exploits - he'd a likely fitted your selection criteria to a "T".

possibly theres a message in there somewhere! ;)

Cheers!
  6. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

I am a boat salesman on the east coast of the USA. I sell mostly 40-80' cruising powerboats but once in a while step it up to the 100+. I have a customer who owns a large proper steel MY that I will not detail. He pays his Captain $130,000. a year, free car, medical and dental. He wants to sell his boat but is afraid his Captain will quit if he finds out that the boat is for sale (even though the sale could take years). I decided to meet the Captain and put the cards on the table as they say. This man is "deal" at twice that salary. Amazing to find a Captain who has engineering and mechanical skills combined with the energy to make the repairs or updates. My advise was find a new boat suitable to the Captain and then we will sell the old boat.

The Captain we hired for the Hatteras has a 50% chance of working out. He has hit the ground walking instead of running. So far it is all about him and I have seen very little effort to bring "his" boat into proper shape after 1200 miles at sea. Also as time moves on we have found several resume' inaccuracies. Hopefully he can do the job and the background will not matter.
  7. trouty

trouty New Member

A tip for you maybe.

;)

In a former life, I spent the best part of what seemed like a lifetime recruiting folk for 2 large govt departments (and firing em again when it didn't work out!) and over the years & thousands employed, developed a somewhat successful 'successional planning' approach to recruiting, which you might find works out OK for you.

Fell free to adopt any or all parts of it, if you desire.

As you know with EEO (equal employment opportunity / anti discrimination) laws these days theres basically little or no opportunity to 'try before you buy' when emloying folks..

So I worked it this way.

When I interviewed folks for a job - I'd keep a close eye on my second best applicant. Sometimes I'd re interview the second best and best applicants - a 2nd time...JUST to get a better look at number two - with a view to whether I could develop that person into the employee I was likely to need next.

I'd look closely at trying to identify and quantify their strengths and particularly their weaknesses.

Then - after the number one guy was employed - I'd contact number two and convince then to come in if possible for temp work, relief work, short term contract work and so on, so I could get a better look at them. While I had them there I'd take the opportunity to train them in the area's they interviewed weakly in and bolster any weak area's in their resume's with actual coal face experience.

Come next time that job was vacant - I already knew who I wanted for my applicant and the selection criteria was invariably written to suit that applicant...

I made a habit of doing this at every interview process and NEVER had to 'buy blind' off the street - I always KNEW who my next selection was going to be before the job placement advertisement was ever called.

For those "joining the job hunting Cues' who find that dismaying, my advice is "dont!". Be prepared to not get that first second or third job you applied for but recognise that - by getting to the interview - you're becomming a 'known quantity' and that eventually you'll get your turn and be asked to temp, fill in or conract for a short duratation position and so on. Take up the offers and you'll soon find yourself being trained, developed etc and with a full time job you always wanted. It won't happen overnight and you'll be able to wallpaper one wall of your house with rejections from unsuccessfull applications - but thats just how the games played these days.

I used to talk to a lot of other large volume recruiters socially and thru sports etc - we always swapped names of likely lads that we'd interviewed who might be suited to each others various job needs, so we knew who to be on the lookout for an application from.

Occasioanlly if I couldn't place someone who interviewed really well - but I knew someone else was looking - I'd contact the unsuccessful applicant after the process was over and they'd got their rejection notice and suggest they might like to think about applying with xyz who i'd heard were recruiting. Usually - this always meant I'd already put in a good word for them and the other agency were already looking forward to recieving an application from them, but the unwritten rules of the game say you can never actually SAY that they have the inside running, it ALWAYS has to come down to the applicant having the intestinal fortitude to pick emselves up by the bootstraps, and have another go after having just been rejected.

On rare occasions people who you went to these lengths for would spit in your face out of dissapointment (hurt) at missing out on the initial job they applied for. Sometimes even people I had in line for successional planning action accidentally shot themselves in the foot by being rude about a second call offering what they took to be a "consolation prize" offer of temping or holiday relief work when they'd been an applicant for full time work.

Most recruiters have been there and experienced that (the let down) so we are pretty forgiving folks...when it comes to unsuccessful applicants taking out their frustrations / disspointments when a second opportunity comes knocking.

Anyway - just a little insight for what it's worth to anyone on either side of the emloyment situation (recruiter / applicant). Hope it helps.

Cheers!
  8. JHA

JHA Senior Member

PMs

Dbl - do you check your PMs?
  9. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Oh geez... I have PM's did not realize. I thought you would get e mails notifying you about PM's. Sorry all... will get on them.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Bill,

You can select to recieve and be electronically notified of PM's from your User Control Panel.

Carl :)
  11. kevlar12

kevlar12 New Member

First Effort

Thanks for the invite to use this site Carl,

Excuse me if I bugger it up at first, Threads and PM's and Tags ??? I must be a bit slow!
    Anyway it looks like good chatter.

Does anyone know Shore Sail Int. ? I can't find a web site.

Piper
  12. pwalsh9012

pwalsh9012 New Member

Shore Sail Int

Dear Kevlar12,
    I was contacted by Shore Sail Int asking me to submit CV for possible captain's vacancy, but I found no trace of a website.

Paul W. Commercial Yachtmaster (Power).
  13. kevlar12

kevlar12 New Member

Shore Sail Int.

Thanks Paul,

Same with me... They are American, but where I don't know.
    I will e-mail them again...

Piper
  14. CaptHenry

CaptHenry New Member

Capt.Henry Mikolajzyk

I have Canadain STCW 95 Master 3000 GT or Tug
    Interested in the Captain position
    I live in Vancouver BC Canada

Henry Mikolajczyk
  15. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

The owners new Captain has now been on board for 6 days. Educate me here. I seem to be confused about what you can expect a Captain to do. Here are my thoughts and I admit I am by no means a expert.

First this is a 70 Hatteras with a cockpit.... so a 65' boat. Too small for a engineer and marginal for a mate.

When I run a boat from A to B (short trip) I get the boat secured in her slip, get the power aboard, gangways secured and wash/shammy the boat. Additionally every morning the boat gets fluffed up. This Captain has washed the boat once in 6 days.

There are a dozen or so little jobs on the boat that a Captain would spend his day completing without any mention by the owner. Captains are proud of their boats, engine rooms as they are a direct reflection on his/her ability. There was a deck drain clogged on the bridge deck that caused a standing puddle of water. The owner had to request (twice) this be solved and how to solve it.
  16. mkaradag71

mkaradag71 New Member

captain/mate available

14 years ship experiance mate/captain available.

10 years radio officer experiance and 4 years O.O.W/Chf.Officer experiance at merchant vessels.

I have O.O.W liecence (turkish) restriction less than 3000 grt vessels unlimited waters.Also I have 2nd class GMDSS Reo Liecence.

I graduated Navigational Educational high schools ship electronic and communication.At 1999 I get O.O.W liecence.

I can repair electronic and electrical equipments well.

I got STWC certificates too.For more details pls check Jf-Recruiting.com

my User name "Mkaradag71"
  17. mik-48

mik-48 New Member

Hi Bill
    Right you are in your toughs about the captains duties aboard such a small yacht.Basically the overall look of the boat says many thing about the crew.
    (more then any CV can).
    Beside certification and time spent on the yachts, such captain is typically a hands on person, with good mechanical skills, familiarity with power installations
    and electronics a board .....
    Last but not least the kind of person he is.According to my experience, owners prefer a captain who is friendly and a gentleman rather than a very experienced one.
  18. aeronautic1

aeronautic1 Member

Yacht Captains

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear." Think about it!!
    Last edited: May 15, 2004
  19. trouty

trouty New Member

Silk

:rolleyes:

Thats
    ;)

Sooo - Dbltime- you gonna git me that greencard so I can apply for this job or what? I'm too fat to pass for a Haitian refugee! :D

Sorry to hear it's not working out - the owners want a skipper or a butler? :p

I figure if they get there alive, with no holes in the boat, they bought 'emselves a skipper - if they end up swimmin with someone else alongside doing the dogpaddle with their luggage strap in his mouth, then they bought emselves a butler - lets hope it's a butler who can swim! :D

Sometimes good skippers don't suffer fools gladly...likely thats a part of what they learned along the way to becomming a good skipper! he he he

C'mon theres got to be 2 sides to this story...original skipper got a dose of poontang and vodka and done a runner, and now this one doesn't do windows and drains? (More likely a choked head!) :eek:

So back to my original question is the owner / owners wife a Phyllis Diller on a bad hair day type - or what gives?

High attrition rate on skippers - maybe the owners should be submitting a CV to see who will risk working for them? ;)

Just playin de debils advocate here.

Cheers!
  20. JHA

JHA Senior Member

There are always at least two sides to a story, but I've seen enough "bad" skippers to know that it isn't uncommon for someone to take off. Especially if they have just banked a few bucks and met a hottie in the islands. And you can't swing a dead cat in a Ft. Lauderdale bar without hitting a "hands off" captain who refuses to do anything but drive. Unfortunately these are the guys who are running good owners (and good jobs) out. We as professional yacht captains cannot afford to lose even one owner. It is our job to work for and around the neurotic ultra-wealthy owners of these boats. If a captain can't hack it he needs to go commercial, or find a 9 to 5. Nevermind the financial inflow to local economy, I want a future in this industry personally, it's not enough that south florida city policies are driving away boats, but now we have captains helping to force owners into finding an alternative winter port?
    Just my two sense. Sorry for the ramble - I just got into it with an engineer....
    -Josh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.